family

"that was like our first real concert!" ashton said, and luke sped up to catch up to the three older boys that were walking shoulder to shoulder down the slim hallway.

he walked awkwardly behind them and smiled, trying to play along as if he knew what they were talking about.

luke grabbed onto michael's shirt to try and keep up, but he was pushed back.

he groaned, and just walked behind them.

when they were back in the dressing room, and luke heard screaming, his face brightened up.

all of the boys families were there, immediately pulling each of them into a hug.

all except for luke's family.

his heart sunk a little, but he was happy for the other boys.

luke didn't have much of a family. his parents never took care of him, and his brothers left, not really checking on luke ever.

it hurt luke seeing all of the boys with their families.

nobody was there for him. he didn't even feel included in the band. all of the other guys were already adults and he wasn't even 17 yet. michael absolutely hates him, and ashton and calum didn't do too much to make him feel like he belongs.

luke quietly walked into the second room, and sat on one of the couches. it was empty, but he could still hear all of the other boys getting congratulated.

luke couldn't help but let his lip tremble as a few tears fell from his eyes.

he just performed his first concert with his best friends and it quickly turned into one of the saddest days he's ever had.

"what the hell are you doing, idiot?" luke heard.

it was michael.

luke shook his head, and wiped his eyes.

"you're crying like a little baby. we just did our first concert." michael said as he picked up his backpack.

"leave me alone." luke muttered, turning the other way.

"what's your problem?" michael asked.

luke stayed silent, but michael walked over to him anyway.

"tell me." michael said.

"why? you hate me. you're just gonna make fun of me." luke mumbled.

"luke, shut up. i'm sitting here asking you what's wrong. if i wanted to make fun of you, i would yell in there and tell everyone you're in here crying like a little bitch. now tell me what's wrong." michael said.

"i-i want-" luke's face fell and more tears fell from his eyes. it was enough to even break michael's heart. "i w-want a f-family a-and f-friends like you guys have."

"what are you talking about?" michael asked.

"you guys are so close and all of your families are here, b-b-b-"

"luke, calm down." michael said, and reached down to touch luke's arm. "luke, listen. we all love you. i know it seems like i'm a little hostile towards you sometimes, but i don't mean it."

"you guys love me?" luke asked.

"of course we do. we couldn't even be a band without you. it wouldn't be the same without your annoying ass running around all of the time. of course we love you."

"nobody's ever said they love me before." luke whispered.

"shut up." michael said, and luke shook his head, smiling a little.

"why don't you come to dinner with me and my family?" michael asked.

"you don't have to do that." luke whispered. "i can just get a ride back to the hotel-"

"luke, just come to dinner with us, okay?"

luke softly nodded, and michael smiled, wiping luke's eyes for him.

"thank you, michael." luke said quietly.

"anytime, blondie. now come on." michael said, and pulled luke up with him. he slung an arm over luke's lanky shoulders.

"oh- just so you know, me, ashton, and calum are your family, and we're always going to be there for you. you don't have to say you don't have one anymore."