rings

"michael..." luke cried as he ran into the living room. he jumped on michael's chest, and buried his face in the older boy's shoulder.

michael sat his laptop off to the side, and held luke so tight.

"sweetheart, tell me what's wrong.." michael whispered, rubbing luke's back.

"you're gonna be mad at me." luke cried, and michael continued to rock him back and forth.

"luke, come on. just tell me what's wrong." michael said softly.

luke shook his head, and gripped onto michael's shirt. "no.."

"baby, you've gotta he honest with me. just tell me what happened." michael said, and luke shook his head again.

michael leaned back and just held luke's shaking body, rubbing his head softly.

"just take your time. i'll listen when you're ready." michael whispered, and pressed a kiss to the top of his head. "you know you can talk to me."

"i'm just scared.." luke cried.

"you do not need to be scared, luke." michael said.

"but you're gonna yell.." luke sobbed, and michael sat luke up, making him look at him.

"i would never yell at you. no matter how mad i get, i will never yell at you. i know how anxious it makes you, and i would never put you through that on purpose..." michael said, and luke nodded. "...now, just tell me what happened. we can talk about it."

"i-" luke started, but had trouble saying the rest. he nervously bit on his nail, and michael wiped his little tears away.

"you're okay.." michael whispered.

"i l-lost my wedding ring, and i know you spent a lot of money on it, and-"

"luke robert hemmings! you had me worried to death baby." michael laughed, and leaned back.

"you're not mad?" luke whispered.

"of course i'm not mad..." michael said, and held luke's hand that no longer had a ring on it. "...it's not like you meant to lose it. it's okay."

"but.. it's my wedding ring, and- and i thought you would be upset?"

"i love seeing you with a ring on your finger, but just because you misplaced it doesn't mean i love you any less or that were any less committed to each other." michael said, and luke dried up his tears.

"promise?" luke whispered.

"of course i promise. this is okay." michael said, and rubbed luke side.

luke nodded, and michael smiled a little.

"why are you smiling? i'm sad." luke whined, and pushed michael's shoulder.

"because i found this in your pocket before i put your jeans in the washer." michael said, and reached over to the coffee table, handing luke his pretty ring.

"michael!" luke said as the older boy slipped it back on. "why didn't you tell me before when i first told you i lost it?!"

"because, i wanted you to know that if you ever lost it for real, than it would be okay. i don't want you to be scared to talk to me, especially when it's something that happened on accident. got it?" michael asked.

luke nodded, and smiled, kissing michael's cheek.

"i love you, sweetheart." michael whispered.

"i love you more."