Chapter 7

Today's flower picking went very smoothly, and we also picked three-month flowers. Ruan Yimian was very happy. Even though he was a little tired, he still had a smile on his face.

But the good mood didn't last long - they met an "enemy" on the way back.

This "enemy" is named "Cao Chunfeng" and she is the daughter-in-law of the village chief's cousin. There was no deep hatred between their family and the Ruan family, but Cao Chunfeng fell in love with Ruan Yiwen and wanted him to be her son-in-law. She asked someone to come to see her twice, but was rejected by Lu Caimei. Cao Chunfeng felt unhappy, so she ended the grudge. .

Cao Chunfeng and her husband opened a pork shop in the village. They had a lot of land and bought cattle. This condition was one of the best in the village.

Her daughter Huo Qingqing is interested in Ruan Yiwen, and both Cao Chunfeng and her man think Ruan Yiwen is good.

Although the Ruan family is a little poorer, Ruan Yiwen is a scholar. Even if he doesn't make a big fortune in the future, he will be much better off as a bookkeeper in the town than the farmers in the village.

Three years ago, when Ruan Yiwen had not yet passed the scholar examination, Cao Chunfeng asked someone to talk to him as a matchmaker, but Ruan Yiwen refused, so Lu Caimei refused with the excuse that her son wanted to establish a career first and then start a family, and had no intention of marrying for the time being.

But Cao Chunfeng refused to give up.

She had previously asked a matchmaker to find all the young people of suitable age in the nearby villages and towns, but either her family didn't like other people's families, or other people's families didn't like hers. In the end, after much selection, she still felt that Ruan Yiwen was the best. .

Huo Qingqing was only fourteen years old at that time. Cao Chunfeng thought it would be okay to wait, so she waited for another two years. Exactly two years later, Ruan Yiwen was admitted as a scholar, and Cao Chunfeng was even more satisfied with him.

This time, Cao Chunfeng became more "sincere" when she asked someone to arrange the marriage. She asked the matchmaker to reveal to the Ruan family that if the marriage could come true, their family would be willing to give Huo Qingqing ten taels of silver as a dowry.

Most of the dowries given to girls in the village are several hundred taels, and some may be as little as dozens of taels. One or two taels is considered the best. As soon as Cao Chunfeng said these words, the matchmaker was shocked, but he immediately realized it - the Ruan family boy is a scholar and a junior student, the kind who can receive rice and be exempted from land tax. These ten taels of silver are worth No gain or loss.

Cao Chunfeng and the matchmaker were full of confidence this time. Although Ruan Yiwen's conditions were good, his family was poor and he had a sick younger brother. Among the people he could choose, Huo Qingqing's family was wealthy and good-looking. There were several people around here. In the village, it would be difficult to find someone more outstanding than Ruan Yiwen.

Unexpectedly, the Ruan family refused this time. Afraid that Cao Chunfeng would come again, Lu Caimei made her words clearer this time - Huo Qingqing is good, but Ruan Yiwen does not have that blessing.

After Cao Chunfeng received the reply, she felt unhappy. On the one hand, she felt that Ruan Yiwen and the Ruan family were ignorant and had disgraced her; on the other hand, she felt that Lu Caimei had delayed her daughter by not explaining things clearly.

Later, the news that "Cao Chunfeng failed to win over Ruan Yiwen as his son-in-law after paying a dowry of ten taels" was spread out by someone. A few gossips in the village gossiped behind their backs and laughed at Cao Chunfeng and Huo Qingqing, saying that they didn't even bother. People want it.