Chapter 131

Three days later, Ruan Yiwen returned to Shanliu Village. Two days later, Mr. Wang, the Minister of Punishment, arrived with the rest of the troops.

After settling down in the county, Mr. Wang made a special trip to Shanliu Village and brought something to Huo Aowu - a plaque inscribed by the emperor.

There are four characters written on this plaque - "Loyal and righteous man".

The county magistrate has been imprisoned by Mr. Yu. This time, Mr. Bai, the county chief, came with Mr. Wang, accompanied by Yuan Yi and others.

The villagers of Shanliu Village came to watch the fun. Yuan Yi and Yu Ping followed the third-rank officials of the imperial court back to the village, and they made a lot of limelight. Huo Aowu, who had received the reward, was even more so.

In addition to this plaque, Huo Aowu also received another three hundred taels of silver, and even Yuan Yi and the others also received fifty taels each.

Yuan Yi and the others were rewarded for their meritorious service in suppressing bandits, and County Magistrate Yu Lian helped them get the reward, but Huo Aowu was a little different.

On the day when he sent Ruan Yiwen to Gongyuan to take the examination, Huo Aowu met General Gu Xingnian on the road. At that time, the carriages of both parties passed by each other. Huo Aowu did not have time to confirm, and he was not sure whether he had seen it wrong.

Isn't Gu Xingnian at the border? How could he appear in Beijing?

When Huo Aowu retired, Gu Xingnian made it clear that he would stay at the border for a few more years and invited Huo Aowu to stay as well.

Gu Xingnian admired Huo Aowu very much. At that time, the daughter of the Gu family, Gu Xingnian's daughter, fell in love with a scholar. Gu Xingnian was not happy, so he asked Huo Aowu to marry his daughter.

At that time, Huo Aowu had not yet figured out his feelings for Ruan Yimian, but he also instinctively resisted marrying someone else. Moreover, at that time, he only wanted to earn more money and cure Ruan Yimian's illness, so naturally he did not agree to Gu Xingnian's request.

Because of this incident, Gu Xingnian said some angry words, and the two broke up unhappy.

It wasn't until Hao Qiang and the others had an incident in Luojun City, and Huo Aowu asked General Ding, the general stationed in Luojun City and Gu Xingnian's friend, for help in order to save people, that he wrote to Gu Xingnian again.

However, there was no news after the letter was sent. Huo Aowu thought it was because Gu Xingnian still couldn't let go of what happened back then. This time we met on the road, but we had other suspicions.

——Could it be that Gu Xingnian returned to Beijing a long time ago, so he didn't receive his letter at all?

In the next few days, when Ruan Yiwen was taking the exam, Huo Aowu inquired about Gu Xingnian outside, and finally learned that at the end of the year they left, Gu Xingnian was transferred back to Beijing.

After finding out Gu Xingnian's address, Huo Aowu visited him twice.

Gu Xingnian was angry with him for leaving without saying goodbye. He was also angry that he didn't inform him when he asked his friend for help and didn't let him in the first time.

It was only when Huo Aowu passed by for the second time that the two of them solved their misunderstanding.

Huo Aowu's guess was correct. Gu Xingnian did not receive his letter, and he learned from General Ding's letter that Huo Aowu had asked General Ding for help. He also heard that the two had exchanged letters, so he thought that Huo Aowu was I didn't contact him on purpose.