@Hubrism

Pen Name: Marianna Leal

Username: Hubrism

Is your pen name your legal name? If no, then how did you make up one?

It isn't, but it's still a name in tribute to my family.

How many books have you published till date?

On Wattpad I have four complete Young Adult novels, an upcoming New Adult one and a short story. I've been in other websites in the past where I posted many others (both original and fanfiction), but they were so terrible that they'll never see the light of day again.

What are your future projects?

My Wattpad pipeline for now consists of another short story, two New Adult novels and three Young Adult ones. Offline I'm working on a Young Adult fantasy and next would be a Young Adult sci-fi. All in all I'm estimating about three years of a lot of writing with these projects (excluding any new, crazy ideas I might get on the way).

What is writing to you?

An undeniable part of what makes my identity. Just the same way as I am a daughter, sister, friend, Latina, engineer, smart, hilarious, cool AF and so, so very modest.

Is being an author, your long time dream or a hidden passion you found out later?

While I've always had an overactive mind and imagination, putting those thoughts in (semi) coherent sentences on paper is something I discovered fairly late. In fact, I had already decided to go into engineering school and was determined that my path was only headed that way. What a plot twist!

What genre books you like to work on?

I enjoy Young Adult and New Adult the most, it can be contemporary or fantasy, supernatural, sci-fi. I've dabbled in a little bit of everything.

If we challenge you to write a book of another genre we suggest, then would you take it up?

I'll be honest, I won't! Not only is my pipeline extensive, but my creativity just doesn't work well with prompts. However, I'm really curious to know what you (and the readers) would suggest. What would you have in mind?

Then we would love to read Billionaire Gothic book from you soon.

Writing is a reality that paints a beautiful fantasy. What do you think are the charms of writing fiction/non fictional books?

While I don't write non-fiction books, I can say that writing fiction is the best method to escape the harsh realities of a world that tries to put me in a mold. In fiction I can live many lives and explore deeper parts of my personality and psyche in a controlled environment. It has certainly made me more introspective, more effective in communication with others, more independent and more easily amused!

Who are your favorite authors in and out of wattpad?

On Wattpad some of my favorites are simonesaidwhat and ToastedBagels, their works are just spectacular. Outside of Wattpad, I really enjoy the works of Brigid Kemmerer, Angie Thomas, Marie Lu, Rick Riordan, Julie Murphy and many others!

Name few of your close wattpad friends.

The ladies at the WattPairsMentorship are just fantastic people, plus wonderful people like nina-zenik and BornToWrite47  and many others. Seriously, go follow them.

What is your favorite series you have recently watched or read?

I'm currently watching Vagabond, which I'm obsessed with. Recently I also finished the second season of Anne With an E (how can we get Netflix to renew it?!) and before that I was really into 9-1-1. As you can see, pretty all over the place when it comes to genres.

Who is your favorite actor/actress?

Let's just say I want to see Chris Evans in everything. But I'll watch anything with Sandra Bullock or Keanu Reeves or Anne Hathaway or Lee Jong Suk or Melissa McCarthy or Kate McKinnon or Oscar Isaac or Charlie Hunnam or or... You get the picture, I watch a lot of movies and TV.

Who is your favorite Villain you couldn't help but love?

The creepy eye of Sauron. How could an eye control the mind of a white wizard, or such a vast horde of orcs? How did it cast a shadow so long without saying a single word? How does it look so cool in posters? My goodness, the reach of that one pupil. The sass. The power. Your faves could never. (Oh yeah, and Loki. I love Loki.)

What are your hobbies other than writing and reading?

As previously observed, I do my fair share of TV/movie watching. I'm also a foodie and I keep a list of local eateries to try by myself or with friends. And while I'm an introvert, I have a wonderful group of friends I hang out with and we especially enjoy live comedy shows. I'm also a really big fan of hard rock.

What are your hidden talents?

Not so hidden is the fact that I can draw and paint, although they're not my strongest art forms by far. The more hidden one is that I can sing pretty well and I memorize a lot of songs. Some of my friends have been trying to convince me to go to a karaoke bar for years but they're not anywhere close to succeeding.

Who is your first celebrity crush?

I had many anime crushes growing up but the first real life actor that woke up my hormones was Orlando Bloom in his Legolas era. The exaggerated stares into the horizon did things to me.

What is the most embarrassing situation that you have ever been through?

This is Friendship Level 10, so I'll keep this close to the vest.

One craziest thing you have ever done?

It's a five way tie. There's the one time I went on a trip around my home country with my friends from university and in the span of two weeks we mostly survived on alcohol. Or later when in celebrating having finished my bachelors thesis I decided to drink a bottle of vodka by myself. But there was also the time I moved to a different continent by myself, and then did it three more times. Or when I drove across the US by myself. But looking at my childhood there was also the one time I broke my ankle and spent two months hopping on my good foot because my parents didn't think it was bad enough that I should go to the hospital. We should put this to a vote with the audience.

There are many authors who just started their journey and many readers who want to write but has no courage to do so. Please give them a tip and a word of encouragement.

Just do it! Why are you afraid? If you don't try you won't fail but you also won't succeed. People say that writing isn't for the faint of heart and it's true that there is a lot of hard work involved in it, but looking at your finished work is one of the most marvelous feelings in the world. So again, take the leap!

Last but not the least, have you ever dreamt of writing your own comic?

No, but I do dream of one day seeing one of my stories turned into a full blown anime.

What do you feel about this interview?

I really enjoyed answering these questions and I hope the readers enjoy reading the answers as well! Thank you so much for having me, it was a pleasure.

Hope you had a great time answering our questions. We appreciate you for your beautiful works and also spending valuable time with us.

We wish you to write many more successful stories and be a bestselling author one day.