Chapter 16

Count August said.

"From now on, I, Count August, shall regard you, Raymond, as my friend."

"...!"

At the sudden declaration, Raymond opened his eyes wide.

"Frie... Hold on. What does that mean?"

"Literally. From now on you will be the friend of Count August."

"...!"

Raymond quickly recognized the meaning of the Count's words and looked surprised.

'It means going beyond mere backing and becoming the friend of the Count!'

Friend of a noble.

Those who dealt with Raymond in the future would have to worry about Count August behind him.

It would be difficult to treat him exorbitantly just because he was a bastard, and it would also be difficult to treat him unfairly as an enemy.

Raymond bowed his head because it was a huge reward far beyond what he had expected.

"Thank you for your kindness, Count!"

"Thank you? There is no need. No reward falls short of saving my son's life. Once again, thank you so much for saving my son."

Raymond smiled.

That was how the case ended.

Lance was punished and disqualified as a healer, and Raymond gained a reliable person behind him.

It was a perfect ending, but there was one more thing to take care of.

"Um... Count?"

"Hm?"

"Even if we become friends, you will have to pay for the treatment. Oh, of course, I don't want to take it either, but it's the policy of the treatment center. I'm sorry."

"..."

Raymond even politely earned the money for the treatment.

It was good to eat rice cakes (the Count) and fish roe (money)!

***

Afterward, Klein was completely recovered and discharged from the hospital, and had a conversation with Count August.

"Why did you give such compensation?"

"Why? Did I go too far?"

"No, I definitely do not think that."

Raymond didn't just save Klein's life.

He saved the family from great danger.

'If I had died just like that, His Highness the 3rd Prince and my family would have fallen into a great predicament due to the conspiracy of the 2nd Prince.'

So he was willing to pay any compensation.

He was just concerned about his father's temperament.

"Klein, how do you think things will progress from here?"

"The struggle for succession will be even more confusing. His Highness the Second Prince, His Highness the Third Prince, His Highness the Fourth Prince. They won't budge an inch."

"Do you think Raymond will be able to avoid that vortex?"

"That's..."

Klein kept his mouth tightly shut.

That was the way it should be.

Raymond was just an illegitimate child who had nothing to do with the succession to the throne.