Chapter 182

"What?"

Count Trentby exclaimed in disbelief, but Raymond spoke gravely.

"In exchange for the closure and cleanup of all the crystal mines, I'll also take on the debt you owe to the Tower. That should be a great deal for you, Count, won't it?"

Count Trentby remained silent.

If Raymond's words were true, then yes, he owed the Magic Tower a whopping 300,000 penas, and he could pay him 100,000 penas to take it away.

"... Are you sure you want to do that?"

"Of course. We'll even write the contract here."

The assembled lords, Elmud, and Christine were witnesses.

"Then, from this moment onward, the possession of the Borison estate transfers to Raymond."

"The same goes for the 300,000 penas you owe the Magic Tower, do you understand?"

"Of course."

Count Trentby looked satisfied and thought to himself.

'I'm saved. I could have been a slave to the Magic Tower.'

He would have to pay Raymond 100,000 penas, but so be it.

He could sell the family heirlooms and liquidate the estate.

He would be penniless, but that's better than being enslaved to the Magic Tower for debt.

Then, the sage Mevinson asked.

"Why did you do such a thing, my lord? Count Trentby is not worthy of pity."

"I did not do it out of pity."

"Then why his debt?"

Raymond smirked.

"I won't actually repay the debt."

"... pardon?"

"It was the Magic Tower's fault this happened, and I don't see any reason why I should pay what's left of his debt."

That's right.

Everything Count Trentby owed was for the installation of the new facility.

But what if there's a problem with the plant?

There's no reason to pay the remaining money!

In other words, Count Trentby was blindsided by Raymond and had his nose cut off.

'Well, I didn't lie to you, Count Trentby; it's your own fault for not thinking this through.'

Raymond hummed to himself.

Count Trentby is a knight who has trained with swords all his life.

He hadn't thought this through.

He was broke, frustrated, and desperate.

'Of course, it's unlikely that the Magic Tower would willingly pay off the mine's debts; instead, they'd prefer to use any excuse to claim they weren't responsible.'

In fact, the average noble wouldn't even be able to complain to the Magic Tower if something like this happened.

They're the worst kind of selfish, being a continent-wide, omnipotent organization.

'But I'm not an ordinary noble anymore.'

Yes, he was no longer a weak noble; he was a great noble who would become a feudal lord of the Houston Kingdom.

'Instead of paying off the debt, I'd rather seek compensation for damages.'

Raymond thought with a determined look.