Chapter 106

Raymond thought to himself.

'... Surely I don't think I'll be able to become stronger than a Sword Expert later on?'

But Raymond shook his head.

'Anyway, it doesn't matter so let's go see the patients.'

And so he went to the clinic and was working on a patient.

Suddenly, a dark cloud engulfed the Houstonian army.

A plague outbreak!

"It's bad, Healer! There's a plague!"

Raymond looked startled.

'It's coming.'

Epidemics were a grim reality in military settings.

The close proximity and harsh living conditions made it conducive for diseases to spread rapidly.

At times, more soldiers succumbed to the plague than to the perils of battle itself.

'We need to catch it early, so we can minimize the number of patients!'

Raymond turned to the barracks where Duke Leif and other military leaders were gathered.

"Are you sure it's an epidemic?"

"Yes, all seven patients have the same pattern of spots on their skin."

Viscount Rand, the leader of the healers, said with conviction in his voice.

"If we don't do something about it now, we'll have more patients than we can handle."

"Do something, and what?"

"We need to isolate and exterminate."

Isolate and exterminate!

Herd the patients to a remote location and burn them.

The most common and surefire way to stop an epidemic in this day and age.

The faces of the military leaders grew serious.

"To extinguish our own soldiers..."

These soldiers were not ordinary citizens.

They were the elite standing regulars, the backbone of the army. Eradicating their own ranks would undoubtedly inflict a severe blow to morale.

"We don't have a chance unless we do it now, at the beginning of the outbreak. If the plague spreads further, we won't be able to do anything about it. At worst, it could have a negative impact on the war situation."

Negative impact on the war situation.

He meant defeat.

He wasn't wrong.

There had been countless wars throughout history where victories or defeats hinged upon the management of rampant plagues.

"What is your recommendation, Your Excellency?"

"..."

Duke Leif maintained a thoughtful silence, well aware of the weighty decision that lay before them.

The fate of the war hung in the balance.

Then a voice echoed through the hall.

"May I have a look at the patients?"

It was Raymond!

He raised his hand in a gesture of recognition.

The senior healers, including Viscount Rand, bared their teeth in displeasure.