Chapter 44

[A quest has arisen!]

[Solve an unidentified epidemic spreading in the slums!]

(Medical Quest)

Medical Grade: One Scalpel

Difficulty: Medium

Quest Description: An unidentified epidemic is spreading in the Bay Area. As a healer, you must minimize casualties and prevent the epidemic!

Clear Requirements: Resolve the epidemic with minimal casualties.

Compensation: Bonus level up x2, 20 skill points

Raymond looked at the message and shook his head.

He decided he should do it anyway.

'Maybe if I solve the epidemic, I can get another medal.'

It was not just an idea.

Prime Minister Galman and King Odin were clear about the prize.

It was clear that they would not just overlook the merit that solved the epidemic in the middle of the capital.

'Then I will get money and fame! Let's use it as a starting point to advance into the common areas!'

It was the moment Raymond burned his will.

Superintendent Rao was approaching.

"I'm not falling for it."

"Pardon?"

What was this sound of steak juice popping?

Rao glared sharply at Raymond with one-eyed glasses.

"I don't know what has been done to bewitch the hearts of innocent slum people, but everyone must be fooled by you. I suspect that your glossy appearance is hypocritical."

'... How did he know? Is he a genius?'

Raymond had startled eyes.

Senior graduate of the Royal Academy.

Well, that was a remarkable observation!

"So I won't leave you to deal with this epidemic either. It is the country that will solve this time around, so don't bother!"

Rao, who declared it as if declaring war, turned his back and disappeared.

Raymond looked at his back in bewilderment.

***

'Then I just have to stay still?'

Raymond thought blankly when he heard Rao's declaration of war.

'It'd be nice if he could solve it on his own.'

Quest rewards were good, money and honor to receive as rewards were good, but the best thing was that others solved it on their own.

'I'm afraid of infectious diseases. It's not like I can wear shield magic all day.'

Raymond had a feeling in his heart that he wanted the new superintendent to work it out.

Way to go, Rao!

'But there's no way he can do it well. He seems to be overflowing with ambition, but he doesn't even know the basics of epidemiology.'

Epidemiology.

It was a medical science that investigated the causes of epidemics through the distribution patterns and symptoms of diseases.

Without this epidemiological knowledge, the only way to approach the disease was to approach it like a blind elephant.

'It's the same with other healers. Eventually, I have to. The problem is that I'm still new to epidemiological knowledge, too.'