Chapter 67

And so the pretentious gathering of the three brothers broke up.

Before they parted, Kairen said in passing.

"By the way, Seitil, you'd better go, for perhaps you'll have a new sibling."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if Raymond keeps up the good work, he might be recognized as a legitimate member of the royal family, and that would make him your older brother, wouldn't it?"

"...!"

Seitil frowned.

"Don't talk nonsense."

"What nonsense? If they want to do it, it can be done, if they can find a way. They can have Raymond's dead mother crowned queen, or, if that doesn't work, they can have him legally adopted."

Kairen smirked.

"He's doing great, so I can't be sure that won't happen. In any case, if Raymond becomes your new brother, I'll need you to take care of him."

"...!"

Seitil crumpled and disappeared.

Remerton looked at the back of his head and made a puzzled face.

"Why would you provoke Seitil when you know he has a lot of ill will toward Raymond?"

What Kairen just said.

It would never happen. Adoption would require the consent of all the current queens, and crowning Raymond's biological mother as queen would be even more ridiculous.

In other words, Kairen was talking about something that would never happen.

To provoke Seitil.

"Why?"

Kairen made a languid face.

"Just because. Because it's fun?"

"...!"

Remerton felt goosebumps rise on his back.

A calm face. But Kairen's eyes were not smiling in the slightest.

"... You did it for a reason."

"When you throw stones at frogs, do you do it for a reason?"

"... No."

"It just happens."

Kairen stood up, stretching.

"Anyway, there's a big banquet coming up soon, so maybe we can see our pup then."

Soon there would be a big banquet at the royal palace.

It was the biggest event in the kingdom, right up there with the Founding Festival, and all the nobles in the capital were expected to attend.

Raymond would be invited, of course.

"I wonder what other splendor he'll show then?"

Kairen chuckled.

"Of course, we'll have to get the 'nod' from our sweet youngest brother first."

***

Back in his palace, Seitil grunted and swung his sword.

'Raymond, that worm should be my brother? What a ridiculous story!'

Of course, he knew.

But the mere mention of it irritated and angered him.

"Call for Count Garrison!"

Count Garrison!

His uncle, the head of the Healing Tower.