Chapter 75

It was a startling statement.

This meant that the excavation of the ruins was a plot by this handsome man!

And the surprises didn't stop there.

The answer came from within the crystal ball.

-All is proceeding according to Your Highness's plan. Archduke Berard.

Archduke Berard!

He was the mastermind of this plot, the man who practically ruled the kingdom of Droton on behalf of the young king.

It wasn't the only plot.

The previous assassination plot of Odin, the plague in the Bay District.

They were all his plots.

"Pfft, if the Royal Knights are wiped out, the Kingdom of Houston will fall apart."

-Yes, it would be a shock.

"Is there any chance they'll succeed in their quest?"

-No way, because even the strongest knights would be as good as dead the moment they came face to face with that 'thing'.

The 'thing'.

It was a trap they had laid. Archduke Berard was certain that the royal knights would be annihilated, for it was such a great beast.

'We were lucky. I stumbled upon the hidden ruins of the Kingdom of Houston on a pre-war expedition.'

Upon discovering the ruins, Berard immediately set a trap.

He dispatched a warlock to summon a powerful creature from deep within the ruins.

And just in time to spread the word.

"If the Royal Knights are wiped out, the upcoming National Foundation Festival is going to be a mess."

-Yes, it will be, and I will definitely take that opportunity to poison Marquis Langham, the emissary of the Peninsula Kingdom.

"Yes, don't forget. Our real purpose is not the lives of a few royal knights."

It was a chilling tale.

The Kingdom of Houston was currently requesting financial support from the neighboring Kingdom of Peninsula in preparation for a war with them and the Kingdom of Droton.

If the envoy were to die a screaming death at a banquet, that story would be ruined.

'And if we go through with the 'final plot', the Kingdom of Houston will be a shambles, and that's before there's even been a war.'

Archduke Berard smiled wickedly.

All these plots have one destination.

Victory in war!

'Ignorant contests of strength are for dumb knights.'

Archduke Berard was a self-proclaimed genius strategist.

He preferred to win before he fought, and he planned to wreak havoc on the Kingdom of Houston before the war through a series of plots.

'... That was the plan, but now it's gone terribly wrong. Because of Baronet Penin, that lowly bastard.'

Archduke Berard frowned.

The capital of the Kingdom of Houston should be in great turmoil by now.

Public sentiment was running high, and yet?

'... Far from being confused by Baronet Penin, the public sentiment is also coincidental.'

Baronet Penin had thwarted their plot in the Bay District and had the overwhelming support of the commoners of the Kingdom's capital.