Chapter 138

But he had to do it somehow.

"We're going to do an emergency surgery right now, so get ready."

Did Christine and Hanson guess the bad prognosis?

They all nodded with heavy faces.

***

To minimize the risk of intraoperative infection, Raymond rented the cleanest tent he could find and prepared it for the surgical procedure.

The stakes were high, and every precaution had to be taken.

Before commencing the incision, Raymond carefully examined the blade lodged in Duke Leif's chest.

'Thank goodness it's a thin blade.'

Had it been wider, it could have caused extensive damage to vital organs, tearing through tissues and creating more severe complications.

However, this did not mean the wound was insignificant.

A penetrating wound to the chest, even with a thin blade, could be just as lethal, depending on its location and depth.

'The wound is right in the center of the heart.'

Contrary to popular belief, the heart is not located on the left side, but in the center of the chest. It's just tilted slightly to the left.

The blade was dangerously close to Duke Leif's heart.

'No. If the heart had been penetrated, this Swordmaster would not be alive today, or at the very least, the heart would have been moved out of the way.'

Raymond proceeded with the necessary steps to disinfect, anesthetize, and prepare for the surgery.

With a determined expression, he picked up the scalpel.

'Use the skill!'

[Skill, 'Hand of a Warrior' is revealed!]

[Skill, Warrior Experience (C)!]

He was relieved that he had saved up his Hand of a Warrior skill earlier.

His sensory level had risen to 66.5.

Swoosh.

With a nervous hand, he made a precise incision in the skin, then raised the large 'sword'-a saw-like blade specially designed to cut through the bone in the center of the chest.

Raymond summoned all the strength he could muster and split the breastbone with steady hands.

Udeudeuk.

The eerie sound of bone splitting echoed through the room, and blood splashed onto his white cloth gloves.

"Hanson, open the breastbone."

"Yes, Master!"

Hanson opened the sides of the incised sternum with the iron tool.

With an eerie snap, the space inside Duke Leif's chest was revealed, and Raymond and his team sucked in a breath. The sight before them was grim.

'Hmph.'

The internal state was in terrible shape, filled with blood and pus.

The bursting pus was weighing down on Duke Leif's lungs and heart, creating a life-threatening situation.

But even worse was the trajectory of the sword.

Luckily, it hadn't pierced the heart, aorta, or vena cava.

However, it had caused a long gash in the outer membrane of the heart, piercing through the mid-esophagus.

'Esophageal perforation.'