Chapter 158

They all took different paths.

"Are you going to be a saint of the streets, like St. Medirack, or a great monarch, like Parmisson, or a combination of both, like St. Plato?"

True to Rao's words, one chose to remain a healer rather than a lord.

The other abandoned the healer path to become a full-fledged feudal lord. This one was a saint, and they became a good monarch who made good choices.

The third combined their work as a healer with that of a feudal lord.

Raymond had to choose one of these three paths.

'The last path. Though I might consider combining them.'

This is the path taken by two of today's leading healers and monarchs, the Holy King of the Holy Land and the Crimson Saint.

They combined the work of a healer while sitting on the throne of a monarch, but Raymond was not so sure about this path.

'It could go wrong and end up being neither here nor there. There's a high chance that my desire for success might hinder me from being faithful to my patients.'

Raymond's desire to succeed was as much a factor in his decision as anything else.

He had never been called to the path of a monarch.

What he wanted was to be a healer.

Is it right to choose the path of a feudal lord simply because you want to succeed, because you want to rise above others?

Wouldn't it be enough to follow the path of a healer faithfully?

Just then, a group of figures came up to the roof.

A drunken Christine, Lyndon, Elmud, and also Hanson were present.

Hanson hadn't been drinking in case of an emergency.

Christine stumbled up to Raymond, red-faced and hiccuping.

"Master."

"... Apprentice?"

"The only master this Christine respects and recognizes!"

Her breath reeked of alcohol. She smiled sheepishly.

"You're the sole master Christine acknowledges. I believe in your capabilities to handle anything. So, choose as you see fit. I have faith in you."

"....!"

She had guessed what was on his mind.

"And you're not going to lose, you know that, Hiccup. You'll win at least once! Don't lose so pathetically!"

'She's drunk.'

He shook his head, but the others were drunk, too.

"Master, I love you, and I hate Hanson!"

"Master, I will protect you, so do whatever you want, and don't worry, no matter what threats appear, this relief knight, Elmud will protect you!"

Finally, Hanson said.

"Master is the light. So, don't worry too much. Your light will illuminate any path you tread. Master, follow your heart. Regardless of the road you choose, it will gleam brightly because of your presence."

With that, he glared at the drunken revelers.

"I'll take care of those drunks, Master, while you go inside and rest."

Raymond nodded and went downstairs, where the dining room below was littered with signs of a drinking party.

"..."