Chapter 174

Originally, discovering the nature of the disease naturally revealed the transmission paths.

However, in this case, it's different.

Thyroid storms are not transmitted between people, so understanding why this mass outbreak occurred required an epidemiological investigation.

'Why did this mass outbreak happen? Could it be a new virus that stimulates the thyroid?'

On Earth, there is no virus that causes thyroid storms.

However, this is not Earth; it's a completely different world—Leifentina.

Here, various and deadly infectious diseases exist due to the presence of monsters and humanoid species.

Especially, diseases unimaginable on Earth can emerge because of the "humanoid monsters," creatures that are an intermediate stage between monsters and humans.

Diseases that affect monsters can pass through humanoid monsters and gain infectivity towards humans.

Raymond pondered deeply.

'Could it really be a new virus?'

However, no matter how much he thought about it, it seemed unlikely.

To begin with, none of the patients exhibited respiratory symptoms.

The likelihood of airborne transmission was minimal.

'Viruses transmitted by secretions don't typically spread so rapidly and extensively. So, what could it be?'

Raymond studied the map, seeking commonalities among the three territories affected by the disease.

'They are vastly different environments. Ranson primarily cultivates wheat on plains, Kran focuses on cultivating special crops in the mountains, and Boyle has a small mining area.'

No shared elements surfaced.

While Raymond contemplated, he established contact with Luin Castle through a communication crystal, hoping to gather additional information.

"Have there been reports of any new disease in other territories?"

- Not as of now.

However, Mevinson unexpectedly mentioned something.

- While there's no indication of a disease in any territory, there have been reports of widespread livestock deaths in Mefin.

"...!"

Raymond widened his eyes in surprise.

'Livestock? Why?'

Viruses that affect humans usually don't have significant impacts on animals, and vice versa.

Occasionally, there are zoonotic infections, but they are rare.

"What could it be?"

Raymond pondered, looking at the map.

'Kran, Ranson, Boyle, Mefin.'

As he scrutinized the maps of the realms where the disease had occurred, Raymond realized something.

'A line?'

Connecting the four territories formed a line, and not just any line—a line following the flow of the Hail River!

"No, not a line! The Hail River flows along these realms, and in the order the disease started!'

"Hail River. A small river originating from the Kennel Mountains, serving as the water source for the four realms."