Chapter 90

Raymond had decided to travel to the Lanton estate alone, unaccompanied.

Raymond said he could protect himself with his shield magic, but the others are at risk of contagion.

Naturally, everyone objected.

"It's dangerous, Master!"

"It's dangerous!"

Hanson and Lyndon were understandably agitated, and even the patient Christine was not pleased.

"It's very contagious, and I know how you feel, Master, but it's dangerous."

It was a natural reaction.

Entering a plague-ridden area and getting infected was the end of the world.

Christine bit her lip and said.

"I understand Master's noble intentions, but please consider your own safety. You have a duty to spread medicine to the continent and save more people."

"Hmm."

Raymond looked puzzled.

'I'm not in any danger, how do I explain that?'

He couldn't just say, 'I can use my shield magic 24 hours a day, so I'm fine!' No one would believe him. In the end, he had to fudge it.

"It's okay. It's hard to explain exactly how, but I have a way to protect myself from the plague."

"An ancient secret?"

"Yes."

With that out of the way, they could no longer object.

"But I need you to promise me something. That you will return safely."

Christine stuck out her pinky.

Raymond scratched his head, hooked his pinky, and stamped his thumb.

"Okay, I promise."

"And if you get sick, I'll kick your ass. Okay?"

"Okay..."

"I'm not just saying that, I'm really going to be pissed, so be careful!"

She was going to be really mad at him, Raymond thought in a cold sweat.

After Raymond's departure, the mood at the Penin Clinic dropped.

"When he says there's a way to protect himself from the plague, is he serious?"

"I don't know."

Hanson trailed off.

"He could be lying. He's the kind of man who'll do anything for a patient."

"Then why didn't you catch him?"

"Lyndon, do you think you can reverse the Master's resolve for his patients?"

"... No."

Lyndon shook his head.

It would be impossible to stop Raymond from burning for his patient.

"I respect the Master, but it's a little frustrating at times like this, when he'll stop at nothing for his patients."

Hanson clenched his fists in frustration.

'If I were better, I could help, dammit. Always making the master carry the load.'

He felt bad for not being able to help.

'It can't go on like this. We have to find a way to help him, somehow.'

Hanson clenched his fists.

'There is only one way I can help Master now, and that is to be his hands and feet.'