Chapter 123

Count Maybo stared in astonishment.

"Is it true, Raymond has been conferring with the people of an enemy nation?"

"Yes, sir, there are those who saw him meeting secretly with the people of Droton last night."

"So that's what he was up to!"

Count Maybo bared his teeth.

'Something for the Houstonian army. Now that we have this evidence, you are finished.'

Count Maybo has a special assignment for Seitil.

Use your commander's authority to destroy him somehow.

But he was running out of excuses, and he'd given him the perfect one!

"Bring him here at once!"

The shocking news of Raymond's court-martial spread throughout the castle.

Raymond was the favorite of all the soldiers.

"No, is it true that the prince has been conspiring with the people of an enemy nation?"

"I don't believe it."

"What kind of crazy bullshit is this?"

Mostly, the response was disbelief.

Only a few, those under the auspices of the Count of Maybo, actively insisted on Raymond's guilt.

Then the castle's central square.

A trial was held in front of everyone.

The trial was held in full public view, in order to inflict maximum dishonor.

"The accused, Baron Penin, come forward!"

Raymond walked calmly to the front.

Count Maybo frowned.

Raymond's face showed no sign of distress.

'Cocky bastard. Arrogant, until today. As of today, you are an enemy nation and a fugitive from justice through me.'

With that, he snarled.

"Baron Penin, you are well aware of your sin, are you not?"

"Of what?"

"Are you trying to play dumb?! When the evidence is as clear as this, that you have conspired with the people of an enemy nation!"

"What evidence are you referring to?"

"I have witnesses to your secret meeting with the Drottons last night. This is clear evidence of treachery. You will be severely punished!"

"Don't you have any idea what I was talking about?"

It was a valid retort, but Count Maybo scoffed at it.

The commander's words were enough to incriminate him on a legal battlefield.

"I don't need to hear what you were talking about. It's obvious you were telling the enemy something unfavorable to our allies..."

Raymond interrupted.

"What would you do if you had proof that I was not in league with the enemy?"

"Proof? What!"

Count Maybo snorted. What proof could there be?

But Raymond didn't back down.

"If I am proven innocent, then I demand an apology and appropriate compensation for the dishonor inflicted upon me by putting me on trial without any substantial evidence."