Chapter 147

In that precise moment, a messenger burst into the barracks from the outside.

"Your Majesty, an urgent message arrives from Marquis Durak!"

"What does it say?"

"It says that they lack the strength to lay siege to the heavily guarded capital, defended by Baron Penin. They ask you to assume command and bring reinforcements in person!"

Berard's head inclined in agreement.

'Indeed, stagnating here in idleness is not the course of action. The capital of the kingdom must be seized.'

Without delay, Berard set his forces into motion.

"We march forth! I shall sever the lifeline of Raymond, the formidable foe of Droton, and subsequently depose the feeble king. Rally behind me!"

In the rear, a contingent remained to disrupt the pursuit of the Houstonian army.

Swiftly, they embarked on their march, aimed at capturing Raymond.

Yet, the troops under Berard's lead were undeniably disheartened.

'Why do we fight for this demonic bastard?'

'Moreover, Baron Penin saved our sovereign. Why then do we strive to spill his blood?'

Such questions eroded their resolve, prompting a continuous stream of desertions day and night.

Berard would awaken to discover the barracks vacant.

'Shit. Fuck!'

Berard cursed impatiently, but there was nothing he could do to stop the desertions.

In his anger, he reprimanded the general leading the men, but of course it had no effect.

There was only one option left to him.

One way or another, he would behead the young king and Raymond.

Just then, a message came from the Marquis Durak.

[To swiftly overpower Baron Penin, it is imperative that you join forces with us expeditiously. Traverse the Kaisen Gorge for this purpose.]

Marquis Durak indicated a specific location.

"The Kaisen Gorge?"

Archduke Berard's brow furrowed.

The Kaisen Gorge represented a shortcut to the kingdom's capital.

However, it harbored a complication; it was a vulnerable point prone to ambushes and ensnarement.

A sudden, unsettling premonition traced its way down Berard's spine.

'Durak hasn't changed his mind, right?'

But he quickly shook his head.

'As long as his twin children's lives depend on it, he could never betray me.'

With that thought, he set out for the Kaisen Gorge, and with gritted teeth and a desperate push, he reached it quickly.

But once he was in the gorge, he realized that something was wrong.

"Waaaaaah!"

"Let's strike down the demon Berard!"

"Long live the King!"

"Long live Baron Penin!"

With rallying cries resounding, a multitude of soldiers surged forth from both sides of the ravine-the forces of Marquis Durak!