Chapter 92

'Poisoning! Come to think of it, mercury poisoning can cause symptoms like that!'

A shock ran down his spine like a bolt of lightning.

Mercury poisoning explained everything.

'Neurological symptoms, just like the ones alchemists get when they accidentally poison themselves with mercury compounds!'

This is what he learned while practicing the Alchemy skill.

It was on the list of precautions when working with mercury compounds.

Raymond turned to the messenger and asked.

"By any chance, what did the fallen soldiers do when they were resting?"

"Uh... I think they were drinking water from the stream."

'As expected!'

Raymond's mouth went dry.

'There must have been mercury compounds in the stream, and that explains everything.'

He was right.

Mercury was colorless, odorless, and tasteless, so you couldn't have ingested it with water.

'Who the hell would put mercury compounds in a stream?'

For a moment, Raymond's body stiffened.

A grisly hypothetical came to mind.

'The Drottons again?'

Now Raymond knew what the Kingdom of Droton had done.

The plague in the Bay Area and the traps in the ruins were both Drotonian.

Even Marquis Langham's assistant attempt was most likely the work of the Drotonians, so it was possible that they were responsible for this as well.

'Such demons. Even if we're enemies, this is way out of line!'

"Baronet? Did you find something out?"

Raymond looked straight at Klein.

"Give me an hour and I'll get it all sorted out."

"...!"

Raymond ground his teeth.

Uncharacteristically angry.

"I'm going to get every single damned demon that caused this."

***

Raymond told Klein and Elmud his conjecture.

They were both greatly alarmed and outraged.

"How dare they, those devilish wretches!"

"I-it's unforgivable!"

Raymond said urgently.

"First, collect the water from the stream that the soldiers drank from. One of us will take it back to the tower and analyze its composition for evidence."

"And now?"

"We need to catch the demons who caused this."

Raymond ground his teeth.

"They're probably still around here, and we need to catch them before they get away."

Raymond bit his lip.

Images of his patients writhing in pain flashed through his mind, many of whom would never recover and die.

'I may be a snobbish healer, but I can't stand by and watch this happen. I will catch them and make them pay.'