Chapter 157

When this happened, the faces of the dissenting nobles turned white.

This is how Raymond would indeed be crowned High Lord.

Though he would have to fulfill the conditions.

But it was Raymond himself who was most troubled.

'No, everyone, what are you talking about, being a high lord? I never thought of that!'

Before he knew it, he was on the verge of becoming a High Lord.

Raymond tried to open his mouth before it was too late.

But...

'If I became a high lord, I'd be able to acquire a great deal of wealth, not to mention rub the noses of the nobles who looked down on me.'

A hint of snobbish greed crept into his thoughts, momentarily causing him to hesitate.

The allure of the position was undeniably powerful.

Nevertheless, he quickly shook his head.

No, his ambition was not merely for success.

He yearned to be the finest healer possible, understanding the profound satisfaction that came from healing patients.

If he were to achieve greatness, he wished to attain it through the act of healing.

A position like feudal was not for him.

'Ugh, but I want it too badly to give it up! Not just the riches, but the power, the honor, all in one fell swoop!'

That's when Odin spoke up.

"I want to clarify that I did not promise to grant the position of High Lord to Count Penin unconditionally."

That's right.

There were conditions.

He had six months to repair the damage of the war, stabilize the province of Rafalde, and placate the people of the castle.

"If you fail to accomplish these tasks, I will deem you unworthy of the title, and I will not grant you the manor of Luin. Instead, I will make other rewards commensurate with your accomplishments."

"...!"

"But."

Odin interrupted.

"If Count Penin pulls this off."

With a cold gaze, he declared,

"I will not only grant Count Penin control over the Luin province but also raise him to the rank of Marquis, making him one of the Five High Lords of the Kingdom of Houston."

It was a declaration that would shake the Kingdom of Huston like a storm.

And so Raymond found himself at a crossroads.

***

The discussion was over.

Afterward, alone with Odin, Galman asked.

"By making such terms, are you trying to give the Count Penin leg up?"

No matter how much of a war hero he had become, making Raymond High Lord of an entire province was too much, so he had added the extra task to give him a leg up.

If Raymond can further stabilize the Rafalde Province, the people will no longer object to him becoming a feudal lord.

But Galman said gravely.

"Your Majesty, no matter how great Count Penin is, achieving the conditions you mentioned won't be easy."

"..."