Chapter 29

"What are you going to do, senior?"

Hanson asked with a pale face.

Raymond pursed his lips.

Once smallpox had actually struck, it was very dangerous to go out to treat patients.

'But is smallpox really right?'

Raymond wondered about that for a moment.

'It's been decades, why the suddenness? Could it be another epidemic that presents a similar aspect?'

The odds were rather high.

It had been a long time since the smallpox outbreak in the Kingdom of Houston.

'It could be that people were so terrified that they drove them to smallpox, although we can't be sure.'

As can be seen in the case of syphilis patients, people here often made wrong decisions out of ignorance and fear.

There was a very high possibility that they misunderstood similar diseases.

At that moment, Kansir said.

"Stay away from this area for a while. I'll purify the sick soon."

"What do... you do with patients?"

"I'm going to burn them to purify them."

Raymond's face stiffened.

Burn in the fire to purify.

By earthly standards, it was an outrageous act, but in Leifentina it was commonplace.

Burn the patient and all surrounding family members before the disease could spread.

'It's practically the only solution, though.'

There was something that stuck with him.

Is it right to set people on fire and kill them when you're not even sure they have smallpox?

"What are the symptoms? Are you sure it's the Death Reaper?"

Kansir looked at his minions who were following close behind.

"Hmm. I'll explain. The patients all had high fevers and severe blisters all over their bodies. Those who had experienced the Death Reaper were all saying the same thing. It's the same as the symptoms then."

Raymond was deep in thought about the explanation.

'High fever and blisters all over? There are many other diseases that cause such symptoms besides smallpox!'

Of course, he was hit with the characteristic symptoms of smallpox: high fever and general blistering.

However, the problem was that smallpox was not the only disease that shows such symptoms.

'If I look at it directly with my eyes, I should be able to classify it for sure...'

The problem is that he had to accept the risk.

What if it's smallpox?

If he got close to the patient, the chances of contagion increase rapidly.

'Ugh. I don't want to become pockmarked because of smallpox. I don't want to die.'

Raymond shuddered.

He hadn't even enjoyed his wealth and glory yet!

He couldn't eat much steak, and he'd barely had a good drink!

If he died like this, he was going to be so frustrated that he couldn't close his eyes.

"Shouldn't we take a break? I don't care how senior you are, you can't get smallpox."