Chapter 183

Indeed.

He allowed this catastrophe to unfold by neglecting the management of one of the mines, and his failure to rectify it would result in the entire Kingdom of Houston rebelling and sabotaging the Magic Tower, causing significant harm.

Consequently, he would be terminated immediately.

Shameron gulped, his gaze fixed on the crystal ball.

He discerned Raymond's true motives.

'He's leveraging blackmail, and if I don't compensate him adequately, he'll ensure my dismissal.'

But the decision wasn't straightforward.

Paying a substantial amount in damages would leave a profound blemish on his career.

This was especially impactful as he held a prominent position in the management program, distinct from the technical program.

Yet, facing dismissal?

That was a different league, stigma and all.

'Ha, that's out of the question.'

Shameron surrendered.

-Alright, I acknowledge my responsibility and am willing to compensate you for damages. How much are you proposing, 1.5 million pena in accordance with Imperial law?

"No. You will pay me 3.27 million pena."

-...What?

Shameron's eyes twitched at the corners.

- What's the price now?

"I said 3.27 million pena."

-No way! That's an exorbitant sum!

He conceded to one and a half million pena.

The law of the Cross Federation Alliance outlined compensation for trade damages: 1 times for simple negligence, 1.3 times for additional damage, 1.5 times for extensive damage, and 2 times for loss of lives.

For large-scale human damage, it was 3 times.

For context, the cost of establishing the Crystal Mine amounted to 500,000 pena, with Count Trenby contributing 200,000 pena upfront, leaving him with a remaining debt of 300,000 pena.

- But why 3.27 million pena? We were overcharged by 1.77 million pena.

"It's compensation for the deceased."

Raymond asserted gravely.

"A total of 177 people lost their lives in this disaster."

-...

"Ten thousand pena for each life."

Ten thousand pena for every life lost.

Shameron's jaw dropped.

-B-but... suggesting such a reward might lead to my dismissal.

Shameron sulked.

The offer of 3.27 million pena was one he could never entertain.

Unexpectedly, Raymond interjected with something unusual.

'It's time to shift from the stick to the carrot.'

It wasn't prudent to press aggressively.

Now, it was his moment to entice Shameron with a more favorable proposition.

"I'm actually proposing this with your best interests at heart."

-Huh?

Raymond thought to himself.