Chapter 103

"What?"

Raymond smirked.

"Because that way I can rip them off even more."

For the record, spreading rumors within the military is a felony.

So is insulting a nobleman, libel.

'If we send them to jail, we won't have enough hands to treat the patients, so we'll just have to get a bunch of money out of him in a settlement, heh. This is my chance to make a killing.'

Even if he didn't, he would still need a lot of money to procure the herbs and treatment materials.

'I've stocked up, but I'm going to run out soon, and I need more money.'

He was trying to figure out how to get the money.

What a great opportunity!

Raymond decided to take this opportunity to extort money from the healers to cover the shortfall.

"Rao, there are some bad guys, can you court martial them?"

"If you say so, they must be really bad, and in the spirit of national loyalty, I'll hold them accountable."

The court martial was organized with Rao's help.

By virtue of his position as a high-ranking military official, Rao was also in charge of investigating and trying misconduct in the armed forces.

In modern Earth terms, he was a prosecutor and a judge, and he was in the perfect position to punish them.

With Rao and Christine working together, they were able to bring them to trial in no time.

"Do you admit to these crimes, Viscount?"

"Y-Your Highness, they were just lighthearted remarks between colleagues..."

"So you admit them."

Christine's cold words turned Viscount Rand and the other senior healers into honeyed dumbfounds.

They were deliberately spreading malicious rumors.

When Christine accused them in the name of the Duke of Laverne, they could not refuse.

To refuse, when the evidence is so clear, would be to dishonor the Duke.

"Honorable Judge Rao, I am Raymond, the accused. May I speak?"

"Permission granted."

Raymond opened his mouth in a low voice.

"Let me say this: spreading rumors in the military is a felony. Under military law, it is a crime punishable by death. Furthermore, you have committed malicious slander. You will be punished severely. What exactly is the punishment, Your Honor?"

Rao replied.

"Life imprisonment will be added to their sentence."

"...!"

The healers' eyes widened.

A life sentence, a prison sentence, plus a stoning?

It was a punishment they could hardly have imagined in their refined upbringing.

Raymond shook his head, feigning indulgence.

"But don't worry too much. I have a big heart, and I don't want you to be punished, even though you have spread malicious, ugly, pathetic rumors in your ugly inferiority complex towards me."

"I-is that true?"

"Yes, just."

Raymond smiled wryly.