Chapter 198

People cheered again.

"Wow!"

"God bless that brilliant man!"

So Raymond headed to the town where smallpox had occurred.

***

Ten kilometers is only a short ride to griffin, Lord of the Skies.

Shuttlphon dropped Raymond off near a village.

[We have arrived, good human. I'm hungry and will be eating nearby].

With a graceful departure, Shuttlefin soared off into the horizon, leaving the group to survey the village with apprehension.

A pall of death hung over the settlement.

"We proceed cautiously. Hazmat suits, everyone."

Despite their prior vaccination, prudence dictated the use of protective gear.

Donning specially crafted hazmat suits, the group prepared to enter the village.

As Raymond took a deep breath, a knot of nervousness clenched in his stomach.

'I'm immunized and suitably protected. There's no cause for concern.'

Raymond turned to reassure his students.

'If I'm doing it, they're going to do it.'

But what was this?

Their eyes blazed like molten lava (except for Lyndon). Their expressions radiated determination rather than fear (except for Lyndon's).

Raymond simply shrugged and forged ahead.

"Yes, Master!"

"We'll venture into the village."

As they stepped into the village, they were met with a throng of villagers, their faces etched with fear and despair.

"W-Who are you?"

"I'm a healer, here to save you."

The villagers murmured amongst themselves, incredulous at the unexpected arrival of a healer.

Then, an elderly man stepped forward, his voice quivering with emotion.

"T-Thank you, but it's futile. Our village is plagued by the Grim Reaper. Please, leave. If you stay, you'll meet the same fate as us."

People were skeptical, with despair in their eyes.

But then Hanson intervened.

"This is Raymond. Mr. Raymond has personally come to help you."

At the mention of Raymond's name, the villagers froze.

"Ray... mond?"

"Is it really him, the hero of Houston?"

Hanson nodded solemnly.

"Yes, indeed. Mr. Raymond, the esteemed hero of Houston, has come to your aid."

"A miracle!"

Quivering voices echoed from the villagers.

"I can hardly believe it. How could he be here, in this cursed place?"

"Are you truly Raymond?"

Raymond hesitated for a moment, then briefly lifted the face shield of his protective suit.

'First, we must quell the agitation among the people.'

Trapped in the village and gripped by the fear of death, everyone was utterly exhausted.