Chapter 100

The soldier was stabbed with a sword in the upper right ribcage.

Wounds in the same area can vary in severity depending on how deeply they penetrate.

Some wounds pierce the lungs and bronchi, others the heart and major blood vessels.

In that case, Raymond's current skills would never save him.

'No, he wouldn't be alive if it did. The blood vessels around his lungs are most likely damaged.'

"Hanson, put in the chest expansion tool."

"Yes!"

A surgical tool he commissioned from a dwarf.

It widened the space between the ribs to make room for the operation.

A view of the inside of the rib cage was revealed, but it was filled with blood.

"Hanson, sterilized cloths!"

"Yes!"

Raymond gritted his teeth and wiped away the blood.

Fortunately, it hadn't cut a major blood vessel, and the blood was slow to return.

Once he'd wiped the blood from inside and had a clear view, Raymond swallowed hard.

'The upper lung has been stabbed by a sword. I'll have to cut it out.'

It was more than a simple stitch.

'Can I do it?'

A lung is not an organ that can be sliced open with a scalpel.

You have to find all the blood vessels that supply it, dissect them, and close off the hidden (bronchi).

In addition, the cross-section of the lung must be sutured tightly to prevent air from leaking out.

Each step of the process is not easy.

But it had to be done.

'First, I have to tie off the veins.'

The vessels that supply blood to the lungs are hidden deep in the chest.

He needed to find them and tie them off.

"Hanson, press down on the lung with this long iron stick."

"Yes, Master!"

The lungs pushed back and he saw a blur of space.

The hilum.

It was the center of the lung.

Deep in there, he must find the vessels that lead to the upper lungs and tie them off.

'Which one is the upwardly directed vessel? If I tie the other one, I'm doomed.'

There was a large main blood vessel in a narrow space, and branches branching off from it into the territory of each lung.

If he ties the wrong one, he was done.

That lung would rot away.

'It's hard to see with all the blood coming out.'

Raymond bit his lip hard.

What's more, the veins aren't sticking out in plain sight.

They were wrapped in the pulmonary membrane that surrounds the lungs, and he had to peel them away with iron tools.

The problem is that the branching vessels are very fragile and can tear if the membrane is peeled off incorrectly.

This would make the surgery very difficult.