EP.66|Music Note

EP.66|Music Note

Another week had passed and now Hunter wouldn't even leave Operetta’s side. His face was stubbly, his hair slightly greasy, and the bags under his eyes were getting bigger and bigger by the day.

“Hunter…” Mal says as she put her hand on his shoulder. She was just recently been allowed to walk around and stretch her legs and the first people she wanted to see were Operetta, Jasper, and Zeref since she had already talked to CJ.

Hunter grunted in response, his eyes glued to the red haired girl on the hospital bed, her heart beat stronger than it was before but still slightly irregular.

“Maybe you should go back to the dorms and sleep for a little bit. I know you care for Operetta and you’re worried, we all are, but you need to sleep.” Mal says quietly as she looks down at the demon, hoping that he would get up and take a break for a little bit.

She wasn’t sure when the last time he has eaten was, but she was sure it wasn’t recently. “No…” Hunter says gruffly. “I wanna be here when she wakes up, and I wanna hear her heartbeat...it’s the only way I know everything’s okay.” Hunter says quietly, his voice cracking just slightly.

Mal usually would have giggled at the demon for being so sensitive but she was just as worried for the red head.

“Hunter, you need to eat, there’s no way you can keep an eye on her if you pass out from exhaustion and malnourishment. Freddie’s downstairs helping behind the bar, I’ve missed helping out anyways. How about I get here to watch Operetta for the time being. With the Takamaki and all she can see her heartbeat from miles away too and she’ll let us know if anything happens.”

“I don't know Mal...you shouldn’t be working anyways, how would Ben feel about that?” Hunter asked quietly, hoping that his question would get her off his back and leave him to wait for Operetta to wake.

Mal smiles quietly at the demon. “Does it look like I care? Plus, I told him I wanted to get up and moving again. And Hunter, how would Operetta feel if you were doing this to yourself, you know that she wouldn't want you doing this to yourself over her.”

“Go home. Take a shower, sleep for a while. When you come back Operetta is gonna be here, still perfectly fine.” Mal promised with a smile, hoping that she finally convinced the hard-headed demon.

“You call me if anything. Anything, happens. I’ll be back in a couple of hours.” Hunter gruffly says as he stands up from his chair, cracking his back loudly.

“And please...make sure she’s safe…” Hunter says almost inaudibly as he bends down to kiss Operetta’s forehead, staring down at her peaceful face for a second before walking out and closing the door softly.

“I will, promise.” Mal says with a sad smile as she sits down in the stiff chair.

~B~

Around 3 hours had passed and the sun had finally gone down. The cafe was now empty with the exception of Mal, Ben, Jasper, Zeref, Operetta, Freddie, and Evie.

CJ had finally decided to go home with the help of Carlos, much to his pleasure. Mal sat in Ben’s lap half asleep.

“I told you not to work yourself too hard.” Ben reminded her.