Part 2: Everything's changing

When Lily awoke, she felt fear creep up on her. She knew she was going to have to see her family today, and she still wasn't sure how they were taking her being in Slytherin. But she forced herself to get up, and her bed hangings. The other girls were all starting to awake as well, and Lola Pritchard was already getting dressed. Lily followed her example, and dressed into her robes. Each one had her house symbol, and was green. It was almost taunting her as she put it on. She tied up her hair, and then she was ready. It seemed as if Lola Pritchard had been waiting for her, because once Lily left the dorm, she had followed.

"Mind if I walk with you?" she asked.

Lily shrugged. "Not at all. May I ask why?"

Lola smiled. "Well, you seem very interesting to me. You didn't seem very surprised or anything when you were put in Slytherin."

Lily sighed. "Well, I'm glad my shock didn't show. It's not that I expected to be in Gryffindor. I didn't know where I would be put, so it was going to be a shock no matter what."

Lola nodded. "Well, I was expecting to be in Slytherin. Everyone in my family has."

"I thought you said family didn't matter," Lily quipped.

She shrugged. "Oh, I know. But I wanted to be here. I wanted to be the same place as my family. Didn't you?"

Lily looked at her before they entered the Great Hall. "I wanted to be put in the House I fit best in."

With those words, the two girls entered the Great Hall, and moved to sit close to the middle of the Slytherin table. Soon, Jace Pucey sat next to him. Again, his ears were poking through his hair, and Lily tried not

 "Hey! I'm Jace," he greeted happily. Now that the sorting was over, he seemed very cheerful and happy.

Lily gave him a smile. "I'm Lily."

"I know," Jace told her. "After your sorting, we all know." Then he laughed.

Lily laughed too. "Yeah, I make shocking impressions."

Jace waved it off. "I thought it was cool. I wished I could have started an upset like that. Maybe I should have told the hat to put me in Hufflepuff."

Again, Lily laughed. This Jace kid was funny.

Lola grinned. "Your humor's as big as your ears."

Lily was surprised at Lola's words. She had seemed like such a nice girl.

But Jace didn't seem offended. He just grinned back at her. "Ah, Lola, my dear old friend. By sitting here I guess that means I have to deal with your charming remarks and hideously dirty hair," he shot back.

Lily looked at Lola's hair. It was a weird shade, hard to tell if was meant to be brown or blonde, but she wouldn't have called it dirty. But by the way the two spoke, Lily had a feeling that they already knew each