Part 61: From troublemaker to peace maker

When Lily stepped back into the Burrow after she and Scorpius left the shed, she wasn't surprised that most of the family still seemed to be up, waiting for her probably.

"Now that you're here, I want to talk about that ring!" Harry said immediately.

Lily sighed as she took off her jacket and shoes. "Good evening to you too, Dad," she mumbled.

"No jokes, Lily Luna Potter. I want an explanation," Harry demanded as he stood from his seat.

She turned to look at her father full on. "I've decided that I like wearing the ring on this finger better. So we're calling it a promise ring now," she told him. "It's not an engagement ring, so don't worry about it. Once again, your thoughts are worse than the reality." She sighed again. "Now, if I may be excused, I'm going to grab a snack."

But as she left to the kitchen, she heard her father following her. "I don't trust this relationship, Lily! You're moving way too fast! I don't trust him!"

Lily turned to glare at her father. "You're right, Dad, it's not a good relationship." She picked up a cookie, and made her way to the living room again. "It's a terrible relationship, and you should never trust Scorpius. I mean, why should you trust a man who protects your daughter? Or one who supports her? Or, better yet, why should you like that man that makes your daughter feel safe? Why should you trust or like the man that your daughter has never doubted?"

By the time Lily had finished, they were back in the living room, all eyes on them. Harry now looked hesitant, but still angry.

But Lily just shook her head. "Forget, never mind. I'll just go back to Malfoy Manor. I'm not going to fight."

"Lily, you can't leave," Ginny told her.

"If I stay, Dad's just going to keep ignoring me, glaring at me, or complaining about my relationship. Either way, I can't take it," Lily replied. "I'm getting my bag."

"Wait, a minute," Arthur spoke loudly, making all noise cease. "Lily, how about you and Hugo go and hang out in the shed. That way you can get some air, and everyone can calm down?"

Lily nodded reluctantly. "Ok, fine."

"Well how about you get Louis instead of Hugo?" Ron suggested. "I think Hugo needs to take some time to hang out with his other cousins."

Lily bit her lip harshly, pushing back every remark she wanted to make. "I'll just get both of them," she said through a fake smile and gritted teeth.

"No, I'd rather Hugo stay in the house," Ron told her.

"No, you'd rather he not hang out with me," Lily quipped, unable to stop it. Then she closed her eyes and sighed. "Whatever. I'll just get Dominique."

"Lily," Hermione called.

"I won't take Hugo out of the house," Lily assured as she went up the stairs, not wanting to hear what else her aunt would have to say.

She could hear voices coming from Uncle Charlie's old room. She hesitantly opened the door, and was happy to find that everyone was in there. Louis and Hugo were playing chess, and Dominique was flipping through a magazine.

"Hey, Dominique, want me to save you from this hell?" Lily asked.

That had caught most of the attention, but Dominique perked up at her offer. "Really? How?"

Lily grinned. "Yeah, I've got permission to hang out in the shed for the rest of the night. Wanna join me?"

Dominique shrugged and closed her magazine. "Yeah, why not." She stood up and came to the door.