Part 28: And down goes Potter, broom and all

After the party and the 'breakup', if that's what it was, Lily and Scorpius had left the topic of Lysander alone. Lily only told the girls the basics but refused to go into detail. Some of the girls had insisted on hearing the whole story, but Lola made them shut up. Jace had asked one question about her night, and had said nothing more about it.

"I can't believe that you are just doing that now!" Lola exclaimed. "Potions starts in less than twenty minutes, and that essay is due today!"

They were all at breakfast, and Jace was rushing to write a Potions essay that he'd been putting off. Lily was trying not to laugh as she drank her pumpkin juice.

"Just shut up, Dirty! I can do this!" Jace assured, talking as quickly as he was writing.

"Here comes the mail," Christian mentioned.

Lily didn't look up, but instead focused on eating. But since she didn't pay attention to the owls, she didn't see the three that dropped the letters in front of her. Lily ran a hand through her hair, paid the Daily Prophet owl, and looked at the letters. One from Teddy, one from her dad, and one from . . .

"Again?" Lily sighed.

"Another note from Lysander?" Lola asked.

Lily nodded, and avoided looking at the Ravenclaw table. She knew Lysander was looking at her. He'd been sending her notes every day since the party. And like always, Lily tore the note in half and avoided his gaze. "I'm waiting for him to quit," she said with a sigh.

"He will eventually," Jace assured.

"Who are the other letters from?" Lola asked.

"Teddy and my dad," Lily answered. But she didn't read the letters. Instead she picked up the Daily Prophet and flipped through the pages. One caught her attention. "Hey, guys, look at this."

"DEMENTORS IN AZKABAN AGAIN?

By Rita Skeeter

News has gotten out that problems have arisen inside the prison of Azkaban, and that security is getting shaky. An Auror on guard was attacked two days ago by a crazed inmate. No word was given as to how the man escaped his cell. Head Auror, Harry Potter, assures that the criminal was put into a tighter cell, and that nothing like this will happen again. But how can we trust this man when he couldn't even tell us that security was down? Now, rumor has it that there is talk of bringing back Dementors to keep the prisoners in line and in their cells. But shouldn't the people get a say in this? What do you think, faithful readers?"

Lily folded up the paper and dropped it onto the table. "What a bitch," she muttered to herself.

"What's up?" Jace asked.

"Rita Skeeter's ramping up to another smear campaign," Lily explained.

"Who this time?" Lola inquired.

"My dad," Lily replied. She picked up the letter from her father.

"Dear Lily,

I heard from a colleague of mine that a fight broke out between you and your brother James on Halloween. Honestly, I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about these fights. I'm sure I once told you that if you couldn't say something nice, then to say nothing at all. Please try to take this advice. I know your brother can be a bit proud, but you just have to ignore it. And if I hear about another fight between you and one of your brothers, then you are all in big trouble. Got it? I'm writing to your brothers too. Be good, Princess.

Love,

Daddy"

Lily crumpled up the letter in her fist and then dropped it into an empty class. Then she lit it on fire, which slowly died as the paper burnt.