Part 37: Guess who's coming over

"These are really good pictures of you, Lily," Duncan said with a smile. It had been about four days since the fight with her dad, and Lily was still staying at the Burrow. It was much more relaxing than at home. It was quiet, something Lily wasn't really used to. Whenever she used to go to the Burrow, it was for a family occasion, so it was loud. But with just her and her grandparents, it was silent. She was able to continue going to Slughorn's for her lessons, as long as she said where she was going first, and she even had Lola over the day before. Victoire had come over this morning, offering to take her to work. So Lily had grabbed the magazines and brought them for Duncan to see.

"Thanks, Duncan. I'm glad you like them. You can have them if you want. I have copies at home," Lily told him.

"Thanks," Duncan said with a happy smile. Lily took a moment to look at poor Duncan. His other arm was completely grey, sending a pang through her. His ear was transparent now, and soon it would probably disappear. But he was still smiling.

"So, how have things been?" Lily asked, taking a bite of a Chocolate Frog.

"It's been really good," Duncan replied. "I mean, I can't make windows anymore, so I just rotate the ones I kept. And my parents got me a lot of Chocolate Frogs for my birthday."

Lily looked at him in surprise. "Your birthday?"

He nodded. "Yeah. My birthday was a couple of weeks ago."

"Oh! Duncan! I'm so sorry I didn't get you anything! I'll bring you something next time I visit," Lily assured.

But Duncan shook his head. "No, these pictures are enough. They're really cool," he assured.

"Are you sure?" Lily asked.

"Yeah," he reassured. "So, when is your birthday?"

"The sixth of August," she told him.

"What do you want?" Duncan asked.

Lily shook her head. "You don't have to get me anything. You just have to smile, remember?"

"But you're my friend. I have to get you something," he insisted. "Tell me what you want, and I'll ask my mum to get it."

"Duncan, whatever you get me, I know I'll love," Lily told him.

He smiled. "Then I think I have a great gift for you."

Lily smiled. "I know I will."

"So, how is staying with your grandparents?" Duncan asked.

Lily shrugged. "It's really nice. I'm glad I get to visit them," she told them, trying to seem truthful. She didn't want to tell Duncan the truth. Why bring more sadness into his life?

"That's good. And your trip with your friend was fun?"

"Yup. That's where I took the pictures. This was the sitting room, this was the beach, and this was a very pretty meadow," Lily told him, pointing at each picture.

"They look very nice," Duncan commented. Lily nodded. Duncan looked over at her. "Lily, can I ask you something?"

Lily looked at him curiously. "Sure. What is it?"

"Well, . . ." Duncan's brow furrowed, as if weighing his words. "Lily, . . . do you . . ." Duncan stopped talking and sighed, dropping his head.

Lily felt a little worried. "What is it, Duncan?" She reached out and brushed a bit of hair from his forehead.

Duncan raised his head and looked at her again. "Well, are you ever . . . lonely?"

Lily looked at him in surprise. Lonely? "What do you mean?"