Part 100: Now begins the end

Lily paced around the Quidditch locker room. Today was the day of their match against Hufflepuff. The last match of the season. But to Lily, it was more. It was her last game period. Her final match at Hogwarts. Her final match as part of Slytherin's team. She had to win this one! Sure, she'd won every other match she'd been in. She'd won every match since first year. But this was her last one! She wasn't playing to prove that a girl could play for Slytherin, to prove that she was a better Seeker than Albus, or to prove that she could win against James's team. She was playing this match to wrap up not just the season, but her entire Slytherin team career. She couldn't end it with a loss. She wanted to go out with a victory.

"Nervous, Captain?" Lance asked. The rest of the team sat around, dressed and ready as well.

Lily occupied herself by finally tying her hair back. "More so than when I played my first match," she admitted.

"We haven't lost a match yet. We won't lose this one," Robbie assured. It had been a big shock around school when Robbie showed up in the common room and halls with black hair. It was a difference from his natural copperish color.

"But it's my last one. It's nerve-racking," Lily muttered.

"We won't let you down, Lily," Courtney promised.

"She's right, Captain," Rachel Derrick agreed. "We've worked way too hard to lose now. And we crushed Ravenclaw last match."

"But Gryffindor's not far from us in total points," Lily retorted. "We need a big lead today. And we also have to hope that Ravenclaw has at least a good enough defense against Gryffindor, which I doubt. As we learned during our last match, they just aren't as good without Lorcan leading them, and being their Beater."

"But Ravenclaw does have a pretty good offense," John replied. "I think they can form a pretty good challenge against Gryffindor."

"And we can definitely crush Hufflepuff today," Riley said with a confident smile.

Lily gave them a weak smile. "Yeah, yeah I know." She looked over her team, and couldn't help but feel a bit of pride at the sight. She'd seen each of these kids grow over the few years. She'd been on the team with some for years now. And now she wasn't the only girl on the team. A girl on Slytherin's team was no longer a rare sight. "I wanna say something before we go out there," she stated.

Lance tapped his fingers on his broom. "Yeah? What's up?"

Lily smiled at them. "I'm proud of you guys. You have worked hard all year, and years previous. This is my last year on this team, and I know that I'm leaving it in good hands. So, let's go out there, play fair and play great. Let's get out there and win the game and the cup."

"Your word is our command, Captain!" Lance exclaimed with a proud smile of his own.

"And this is an intense match between Slytherin and Hufflepuff!" Barnes exclaimed. "Both teams are on top of it, but I gotta admit, Slytherin is playing their best today! As we know, this is Lily Potter's last match at Hogwarts. Today's match will decide if she graduates with a seven year winning streak, or not!"

Lily sighed as she circled the pitch. She really didn't need, or want, the reminder.

"Now Higgs has got the Quaffle, and he's swerving through the Hufflepuff players!" Barnes commented. "And he passes it off to Pritchard, who just barely dodges a Bludger hit by Summerby. Higgs tosses it to Warrington . . . Oh! It's intercepted by Preece! She makes a quick throw to Macmillan . . . but Pritchard catches it for the steal! As I said before, Slytherin is bringing its best out today!"

Lily spared her team below a quick glance before bring her eyes back to search the sky for the elusive Snitch. The weather was perfect for a Quidditch match. A clear blue sky, warm air. But it was the sunlight that was making it hard to find the Snitch. Every time she looked up, it blinded her momentarily, preventing her from searching more for the Snitch.