Part 49: The good in the bad

"So, are you going to ride the train with us?" Lily asked as she and Hugo walked through the barrier at King's Cross. Their families had decided to go to the station together, instead of just meeting up like usual. Lily was sure it had to do with her and Hugo's regrowing relationship.

Hugo shrugged. "Maybe. I might pop in for an hour or so. But I know my friends are going to want to see me, and Paige will be insistent for me to sit with her."

Lily tried not to roll her eyes at the name. "Well, are you going to come in after the prefect meeting, or no?"

He shrugged again. "I don't know. Maybe, unless one of them catches me and drags me off. Kinda depends on who the girl prefect is in my house."

Lily sighed. "No offense, but I might be pissed if it's your girlfriend." The thought of Paige Wilde being a prefect was sickening.

Hugo chuckled. "No offense taken. I understand. She . . . she takes time to get used to. She can be a bit . . . tough."

Lily held her tongue at her next thought. Wilde wasn't tough. She was bitchy, and she couldn't handle fights she got into. But Lily didn't say it, and just looked around for her friends.

"So, Hugo," Rose spoke, "why don't you just come with me and Al to the prefect compartment?"

Lily noticed that Hugo seemed a little tense when his sister spoke. "No. I'm waiting with Lily to meet up with some of our friends. I'll head there when they do."

"Just come with us," Rose insisted. "It'll be fun, and we can stop and see your friends."

Lily felt a bit of anger in her stomach, but Hugo spoke before she could. "No. I'd rather be around relaxed and cool people, instead of your pompous and uptight friends!"

"Kids!" Hermione chided quickly.

Lily looked at Hugo. It was normal for Rose and Hugo to argue. All the adults in the family laughed about it, commenting on how they really were just like their parents. But to Lily, these recent arguments seemed different. More . . . full of hate than just annoyance.

"Lily!"

Lily turned around just in time to be jumped on, Lola's arms wrapping around her in a tight hug. Lily smiled and giggled with her friend, hugging her back. When Lola pulled back, Lily noticed her eyes go to Hugo.

"Hugo! You're here too?" Lola said with excitement.

Hugo grinned and nodded, holding out his arms. "Hug?"

Lola giggled, and hugged him too. "Of course!"

"Where are the others?" Lily asked, looking back at the crowd of people.

Lola pulled from Hugo's hug. "The girls are getting a compartment. We made the assumption that you got prefect since none of us did."

Lily nodded. "Yeah, me and Hugo. Who got the boy's position?"

"Christian, according to Izzy," Lola told her. "So, Hugo, are you coming to our compartment with us?"

"Yeah, for a little while at least. But I'm sure my friends will like an audience," Hugo joked.

"Shall we go?" Lola asked.

Lily kept looking at the crowd. "Well, I need to talk to someone first."

Lola seemed to already know. "I haven't seen Scorpius and his family yet. But maybe he's already on the train."

Lily tried not to scowl at the idea. She was wanting to talk to Draco and Astoria before she left. She wouldn't see them until Christmas, and the last time she'd seen them was at the Slytherin formal dinner a couple days ago. She assumed that she'd see them here.