Part 98: A promise kept

The day to return to Hogwarts came, and it wasn't as Lily expected it. Actually, it started off with something unusual once she'd stepped on the train. She'd been speaking with Hugo when Shannon suddenly zipped by, grabbing Lily's wrist, and bringing her along.

Lily looked at Shannon in surprise as she pulled her down the hall of the train. "Where are we going?" Lily demanded.

"Just a moment!" Shannon insisted. And after checking to make sure a compartment was empty, Shannon pulled Lily inside, looking almost panicked as she closed the door.

Lily raised a curious brow. "What's up, Shay? Is something wrong?"

Shannon gulped and looked hesitant. "Ok, so you won't tell anyone will you?"

Lily nodded. "Not a word."

"Good, because I don't want this getting out. But I also really need your advice," Shannon sighed as she sat down.

Lily sat across from her. "And you don't want the advice of the other girls too?"

Shannon fiddled with a strand of her hair. "Well, I'm not in the mood for Megan's replies, and I know that you've personally been through this."

Now Lily sighed. "Then it must not be good. Ok, what happened?"

Shannon leaned back against the seat, looking at her lap. Then she mumbled something that Lily could hear or understand.

"What?" Lily asked.

Shannon let her eyes flick toward the window. "I cheated on Chris," she whispered.

Lily looked at her in surprise. "What? Are you serious?"

Shannon nodded, almost looking ashamed. "Yeah, I am."

Lily ran a hand through her hair, but then moved to sit beside Shannon. "Tell me what happened."

"Well, Adrian was home a few nights, and he invited Raven over one day, and Raven brought his brother Derek with him," Shannon started. "Well, I guess Adrian and Raven began talking about Quidditch, and Derek isn't a big fan. So he came downstairs, where I was hanging out in the kitchen. We ended up talking and . . . well he was so sweet, and kind, and he gave the sweetest compliments. I felt really special and pretty . . . and I kissed him." She brought in a gulp of air. "He kissed back, and we ended up snogging for what felt like ten minutes."

"Was that all you did?" Lily asked hesitantly.

Shannon nodded. "Basically. I mean, he went up my shirt a little, and I unbuttoned like one button of his shirt, but that was it. Suddenly it hit me, and I pulled away. I think my freaked out face confused him, and then I just ran upstairs and hid in my room." She gave Lily a desperate look. "What do I do?"

Lily sighed. "Well, do you love Chris?"

Shannon bit her lip for a brief moment. "Well . . . I don't think I'm in love with him. But I do care about him. And I feel terrible! I cheated on Chris, and also probably horrified Derek! I don't want him to think he did something wrong, but I'm not sure I can face either one of them!"

Lily nodded a little in understanding. "Look, I know it sucks. When it happened to me, I felt horrible. But I also didn't regret it. Do you?"

Shannon didn't answer for a moment as she seemed to think. Then she sighed. "Well . . . kind of, but not really. I mean, it was like a nice change. I mean, Chris is always throwing out compliments. They never feel totally special. Honest, yes, but I never feel special from it. But with Derek . . . I knew he meant what he said, and I liked it! I liked how I felt! So . . . no. I guess I don't."