Part 75: Taking advantage of time

So, you remembered to give your history notes to one of the others, right?" Lola asked Hugo as they all ate dinner. After their victory yesterday, they didn't care about the governors' and Heyes unspoken rule about eating at your own tables.

Hugo nodded as he tried to swallow a mouthful of food quickly. "Yeah," he said after a small cough. "I gave them to Josh. No need to worry, La."

"Well I'm just making sure. We know how your memory can be," Lola teased.

Lily rolled her eyes at the two, but smiled. The castle had been cleaned. All the swamps were banished, the colors vanished, the fireworks faded, the rabbits vanished, and the writings were erased . . . all except one. Hugo's words "OUT WITH THE NEW, IN WITH THE OLD" were still on the wall near the headmaster's office. Apparently, Professors Flitwick and Bell "claimed" it must have been from a prank product, because they didn't know how to get it off. It was an obvious lie, because Hugo had done what everyone else had done when they wrote something on the walls. But the reasons behind keeping it was another victory in itself.

"You ready to see your parents?" Scorpius asked, knocking her from her thoughts.

Lily nodded. "Yeah, I'm ready. I'm also ready to make Brunt and Heyes look even worse. After all, how could Heyes be a good headmaster and not see and stop what happened?" she mocked.

"Well aren't you clever," he teased before placing a kiss on her lips.

"Lily, Hugo," Professor Longbottom addressed as he walked toward them. There was obvious pride in his small smile. "I've been asked to tell you that your parents will be arriving soon, and that the headmaster would like you to go to his office now."

Hugo immediately began to quickly stuff more food into his mouth, but Lily wasn't as hungry, so she simply stood from her seat. "Ok. Once Hugo has officially choked himself, we'll head down there. Are you coming, sir?" Lily asked.

"No, although I offered my presence to the headmaster," Professor Longbottom told her. "But he insisted that it be only you, your parents, him, and a few choice governors."

Lily rolled her eyes. "Of course," she muttered.

"Stuffidd," Hugo mumbled through his mouthful of food.

"Ew! Hugo Weasley!" Lola scolded.

Hugo shrugged as he too stood up. He chugged down his last bit of his pumpkin juice, slammed the cup down, then clapped his hands. "Let's do this!" he exclaimed.

Lily chuckled and shook her head. "Ok, champ," she mocked. She messed with Scorpius's hair as she walked away. "See you guys later."

"Later!" Hugo said with a small wave. The two left the Great Hall and walked most of the way in silence. It wasn't until Hugo's writing was in sight that one of them spoke.

"Maybe I could be a politician," Hugo commented.

Lily raised a curious brow and looked at him. "Really? Why?"

He shrugged. "Apparently, I could be good at it. According to a lot of people and adults lately. And I really don't know what I want to do after I graduate. If I don't figure anything out, maybe I could fall back on that."

"But would you rather find something better?" Lily asked.

"Absolutely. I mean, as you can tell by my enthusiastic voice right now, I have little ambition for it. I'd have to search for things to fight for. I mean, with this, it's different. I care about Hogwarts. But other topics, I may not," Hugo replied. "But I just don't know what else I would do."