Part 34: A circle of magic

The car ride back home was very uncomfortable for Lily. She was sitting in the back with her brothers, barely lucky enough to have a window seat. The tension between her and her family was thick. Her dad had glared at her outfit choice, and her mother didn't look as happy as she usually was when she hugged Lily. So Lily didn't remind them of the trip. She didn't want her brothers saying something to ruin her chances of going. In fact, Lily didn't say much at all. When they finally got home, she took her trunk to her room, leaving her door wide open. She slowly began to put things away, taking her time. Once she was finished, she looked out into the hallway. Her brothers' doors were closed, but she could hear noises, which meant that they were in their rooms. Lily walked down the stairs, ready to talk to her parents, but she stopped when she heard voices in the kitchen.

"I don't know, Harry, but something has to change. Otherwise we're going to lose the ability to talk to our daughter," Ginny said.

"I will not lose the ability to discipline my kids. She knew I wouldn't like her dressing like that, so she purposely does it," Harry argued.

"Harry, she thinks that you blame her for how she and the boys fight," Ginny told him.

"I wasn't blaming her! I just told her that I want the fighting to stop. I told the boys the same thing," Harry replied. "She locks herself in her room whenever she's home, it's not my fault that she didn't hear me talking to them."

"Look, Harry, I'm not saying that she's right, or that you're right. I'm just saying that something has to change before we lose our daughter completely," Ginny said with a sigh. "I'm afraid that she's not happy."

"I've tried to talk to her. She won't let anyone talk to her," Harry retorted. "I mean, the only time I learn about what she's been up to is from her brothers or when she accidently lets something slip. Did you know that she was dating Lysander?" Lily gulped. What would her mum think about that?

"Well from what Luna told me, it was just two dates, they were never officially a couple. At least that's what Lysander told her in his letters," Ginny replied.

"See! You had to hear it from Luna. Lily won't talk to us," Harry pointed out.

"She's a teenager. She's growing up. She's not going to want to talk to us. I never told my mother things when I was her age," Ginny told him. "I had friends for that. I had Hermione."

"I just think that it's getting out of hand. And the attitude she's gaining is getting to be a bit much," she heard her father mutter.

"I know, and I've told her that. All it did was make things worse between us. I think we just need to give her some space to figure things out about herself and to grow. If we crowd her, she's just going to feel pressured and angry with us," Ginny replied.

Lily didn't want to hear anymore. The more she heard, the more guilt she felt. Maybe she was a bad kid. At least a bad daughter. She walked into the kitchen, making her presence known.

"Hey, Mum, Dad, can I talk to you?" Lily asked, letting them know she was there. Both her parents were sitting at the table, a cup in their hands.

Harry looked a bit surprised, but he nodded. "Of course, princess. Sit down."

Lily moved to sit next to her father and across from her mother. Ginny seemed a bit pleased. "What did you want to talk about, sweetheart?"

"Well, I was wondering if I could go on that trip with Scorpius and his family?" Lily asked. "I mean, Scorpius's mother is really excited about having me go, and I think it'll be better than just sitting around."

"I don't know," Harry muttered.

Lily looked pleadingly at her mother. Ginny looked hesitant. "Well . . . when do they leave?"