Part 66: Undetectable changes

Normally after a big win, Slytherin House was all for throwing a huge party. But not this time. This time, a somber mood fell over them all. Lily had been silent as she showered and changed. She left the locker room without saying a word to any of them.

Lily wasn't completely sure how she felt yet. Disbelief, obviously. She thought she felt a bit of anger floating around and burning in her stomach. Uncertainty maybe? She made her way to the castle, hoping to avoid everybody. She didn't want to go to the common room. She didn't want to be the one to answer everybody's questions. She thought about checking on Lysander, but she knew that the Ravenclaw team would be there. So she only had one place to go where she could talk to someone that would be calm and unbiased.

Lily hoped that Professor Brown was in his office as she went up the stairs. When she got to the door, she raised her fist to knock, but then stopped at the sound of loud voices. She could hear them clearly.

"Once again, a child has gotten seriously hurt! We cannot allow this sport to continue in the school!" a shrill voice practically shrieked. Lily winced as she recognized the owner of the voice. Brunt.

But Professor Brown's voice was calm. "Look, the other students will be furious, and they will argue and fight against it. We only have three matches left anyways. But I assure you, there will be consequences for those boys. I plan to get the full story."

"You could be endangering their lives!" Brunt argued.

"Or perhaps I'm preparing them for the world? Isn't that the point of learning? Must it all be about academics? Are they to learn nothing of life? I'm sorry, Mrs. Brunt, but I don't plan to just throw those children out into the world without a shred of knowledge of how it works," Professor Brown argued casually. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I believe there is someone outside my door, wishing to speak with me."

Lily was always surprised by his awareness. He always seemed to know if she was waiting behind his door to speak with him. She knocked once and then walked inside. The portraits' eyes followed her as she walked further into the office. She was surprised to see that it wasn't just Brunt. There were about five of the governors standing in the room.

"Ah, Lily, come and sit down. We were just finishing up," Professor Brown said with a pointed look at the governors. Brunt looked at him coldly, but turned to leave. Lily waited patiently for the governors to leave the office. When the door was slammed shut, Professor Brown sighed. "I'm sorry you had to hear that argument. I'm sure you're one of the students that would protest that the banning of Quidditch."

"Yes, but I can't say that I blame them for worrying. Two major injuries within three games?" Lily muttered. She ran a hand through her hair. "So, do you want my side of the story, or can we just talk?"

"Can we do both?" Professor Brown asked.

Lily was the one to sigh this time. "Lysander told me that he loved me. Then in front of Scorpius, he kissed me," she explained.

"And are you angry at Lysander?" he asked.

"Sort of. It's not secret that Scorpius is . . . well fiercely protective. And he knew that Scorpius was watching. He knew it would cause problems between Scorpius and me. But he still did it," Lily replied.

"How else do you feel?"

"Guilty. I just want to stop hurting him, but it seems impossible," she whispered.

"Well, they say that absent makes the heart grow fonder. That, and that we never choose whom we love," Professor Brown commented.

"I don't believe he truly loves me," Lily retorted. "Maybe the idea of me, but he doesn't know me enough to really love me. I've changed drastically from how he remembers me."