Part 80: The lines of maturity and self awareness

Lily sighed as she put her hair up for the day. It was way too bright, and the other girls were way too happy for a morning. Not that Lily had gotten the greatest wake up. After practically a year of waking up next to Scorpius at Hogwarts, it felt weird to wake up alone.

"I'll see you girls at breakfast," Lily told them, really just wanting to get out and get her mind away from Scorpius. She grabbed her bag, placed her mirror in one of the small pockets, and then left the room. She was surprised to see Jace standing by the stairs, like he was waiting.

He noticed her easily, and grinned. "Good morning, Lil. How was your night?"

Lily shrugged as she stepped into the common room. "Ok. But my wake up has been hellish."

Jace chuckled as he walked with her. "Well let's get some food to make you better."

Lily rolled her eyes, but she still smiled. "Sadly I'm not like Hugo. Food doesn't always cheer me up."

"Well we have to try," Jace joked. He threw his arm around her, pulling her to him. Lily sighed as she leaned her head against him. She felt nothing awkward or more than friendly behind his actions. It felt almost like if Hugo were to do, only she was sure Jace wouldn't mess up her ponytail on purpose.

"So what classes are you taking this year, Jace?" Lily asked curiously as they walked to the Great Hall.

"Uh, it was Defense Against the Dark Arts, Transfiguration, Charms, Herbology, and Care of Magical Creatures. So, sorry I won't be able to see you teach Potions," Jace said with a smile.

Lily laughed. "It's ok. What did you get in Potions?"

"Um . . . like an A or a P, I can't remember," he chuckled. "But I wasn't surprised. I always sucked in that class if you weren't helping me and practically walking me through it."

When they reached the Great Hall, they took seats near the middle, and immediately began to fill their plates.

"So, have you found out what was up with Xavier yet?" Lily asked.

Jace shook his head. "No. He went straight up stairs when we got to the common room. And when we all went to our dorm, his curtains were pulled closed. It was like that this morning when I got up too."

"I hope he's ok," Lily sighed. "He didn't look sick or anything . . . just . . ."

"Empty?" Jace supplied.

She nodded. "Yeah. Empty."

"Hey, you guys," Hugo grinned as he sat down. "How are you two this morning?"

"Ok," Jace replied.

Lily only shrugged.

"Aw, cheer up, Lil. Here, I'll take your mind off it," Hugo assured. "Where's Professor Brown at?"

"I was wondering that too," Jace agreed.

She shrugged again. "I don't know! I worried about that all through the feast yesterday night. I mean, he was supposed to be coming back!"

"Maybe he's just tied up in something right now. I'm sure he'll be here soon," Jace replied.

"As long as Heyes doesn't go and show up, I'm not overly worried," Hugo mentioned. "When has Professor Brown ever let us down before?"

"Good morning, Hugo," Lola said with a cheerful smile. Then she caught sight of Jace. "Idiot," she mumbled briefly.

Lily rolled her eyes, but Hugo grinned. "Hey there, La. How's it going?"

"Not too bad. I was able to avoid both Bobby and Marsha this morning, which means it's great," Lola replied.

"I always thought it'd be cool to have siblings," Jace thought aloud.