Part 87: Giving and taking advice

Surprisingly, Lily was one of the first kids up. But she wasn't surprised by the light pounding in her head. She groaned softly as she sat up, her throat thick and dry, her mouth feeling like cotton. She looked around and found that Roxanne was missing from her spot on the floor, apparently already awake too.

Lily stood up with a sigh, and folded up her blanket, placing it neatly by her pillow. Then with a yawn, and another throb in her head, she walked into the kitchen. Her grandmother was already making breakfast for them all, and Victoire seemed to be helping. Teddy sat at the table, reading The Daily Prophet, and Uncle George sat, sipping a cup of coffee.

"Good morning," Lily said, trying to sound as chipper as she could with her small hangover.

She was greeted by them all, and she watched as Uncle George got up and began to dig through a cupboard. But then she went ahead and sat down.

"You're up early," Teddy commented.

Lily shrugged. "I guess. I saw that Roxy was up already. Where's she?"

"I saw her go upstairs earlier," Victoire answered.

Then Uncle George placed a cup in front of her, a bit of steam rising from the liquid. "There ya go, flower. Some hot chocolate. Drink up," he told her as he sat back down.

Lily looked at the cup, and then looked at her uncle, who was now talking casually with her grandmother. Normally, Lily would have hesitated before drinking something that she didn't watch her uncle make step by step. After all, he was famous for pranks and jokes. But after last night, she gave him the benefit of the doubt, and took a drink. Immediately, the pounding in her head stopped, the cotton-feeling left her mouth, and her throat cleared. She sighed in relief.

"Thank you, Uncle George," she said, just as casually as he had.

He gave her a nod. "No problem."

Lily finished off her cup quickly, thankful as it made her hangover disappear quickly. She sighed as she set her cup back onto the table, and watched as Victoire and Grandma Molly puttered around the kitchen. "Do you two want help?" she asked them.

"Well I know how you can help me," Victoire told her.

Lily perked up. "Sure. How?"

"Go check on Theodore. Sometimes when he wakes up, he doesn't cry, but instead just starts throwing things around the room. Go see if he's still sleeping, please?" Victoire requested.

"Yeah, he once threw something into Gabby's crib, and she cried for what felt like hours," Teddy muttered.

Lily chuckled. "Yeah, I'll go see." She left the room, and carefully dodged the sleeping bodies of her cousins and brothers. Then she made her way up the stairs, and made her way toward Uncle Charlie's room. Teddy and Victoire had decided to allow the newlyweds, Fred and Janie, to have the new room that their grandfather added the year before. Uncle Charlie had offered to share his room with the couple and their two children.

Quietly, Lily opened the door and peaked inside. Uncle Charlie was sprawled across his bed, blankets covering him almost to his head. When she stepped in further, she could see Theodore standing in the crib, looking ready to throw a stuffed animal from his crib. But then he noticed her, and smiled.

Lily smiled back at him. "Hey, baby boy," she whispered quietly as she walked toward him. Then she reached in and picked him up. Teddy rested his head on her shoulder, his arms hugging her neck, the stuffed animal still in the grips of his fingers. "Come on, let's go downstairs and greet everyone."

After everyone had woken up, eaten breakfast, and opened presents, Lily found herself sitting with Hugo, who was looking over his new chess set. They sat in the far corner, far away from where James sat.