Part 14: The good, bad or shocking news

Lily sent a quick letter to her parents, telling them that she would be Flooing home instead of taking the train back. Not wanting to get a letter asking why Lily sent it the day before she would be leaving. She packed a small bag of things to take home the night before and then made her way down to the common room. She found Lola, Jase, and Christian sitting at a table. Lola was revising an essay, while Jace and Christian were playing chess. Lily took the other seat at the table.

"Who's winning?" she asked.

"Tie," Jace said quickly.

"Christian," Lola corrected. "He's been dominating the game since the beginning."

Jace threw a small glare over at Lola. "So I'm not the best chess player. At least I'm putting up a fight."

Lily laughed. "Don't worry, Jace. I can't even put up a fight when I play."

Jace smiled and gave a small bow of his head. "Thank you, Lil. At least someone knows my pain."

"So, Lily, you're leaving tomorrow, right?" Christian asked, after moving a knight.

"Tomorrow morning," Lily replied. "I've got a bag packed already. What are you three doing?"

"Staying here, avoiding homework, breaking rules," Jace listed.

"So, the usual?" Lily mocked with a laugh.

Christian laughed as well. "Basically."

Lola rolled her eyes. "Well, I planned on actually doing the homework we got. That way I'm not rushing through it the morning it's due."

"Either way, you'll probably fail History of Magic," Jace taunted lightly.

"Not as bad as you," Lola retorted, her tone just as light. But Lily could see the tension in Lola's skin.

Lily gave Christian an apologetic look. "I'm sorry that I'm leaving you here with them."

Christian laughed. "Yeah, you owe me."

******************************

It was quiet when Lily stepped out of the fireplace and into her home. There wasn't even a sound from the kitchen. She set her bag down and then began to house. Her mother wasn't in her study working, and her father wasn't in his.

She made her way back to the living room. "Kreacher," she called.

There was the normal 'CRACK', and then Kreacher was right beside her. "Yes, Mistress Lily?"

Lily tried not to roll her eyes at the title. "Where are Mum and Dad?"

"Your father has a quick meeting with the minister, and your mother is at your aunt's house. They weren't expecting you home so early," Kreacher explained.

"Oh." Lily sighed and moved to sit on the couch. "Ok then. When are they supposed to be back?"

"Kreacher does not know," he told her. "Is Mistress hungry?"

Lily gave only a shrug. "Just a little."

"Then Kreacher will make you something," he said. Then with a snap of his fingers, he was gone. Lily pulled out the music player that Jace had gotten her last year, and also a book. After finding a good song, Lily settled on the couch and began to read. Kreacher came back and set down a sandwich and drink, so Lily began to eat as well. She was comfortable, and at ease. But she knew not to get used to it. Eventually, her brothers would be home as well, and all of this would disappear.