Part 23: Curiosity never killed the snake

"Lily? Lily, wake up!"

Lily groaned as she was shaken roughly. She felt lightheaded and very hungry. But she also felt as if she'd throw up if she ate. She opened her eyes and found Tamara shaking her. Lily blinked rapidly, trying to fully open her eyes. "What is it?" she muttered.

"We've all got to wake up and get back to the castle without anyone seeing us! Rex's watch says that it's a little past breakfast. That will make it seem as if we were all just taking a walk. Come on!" Tamara demanded.

Lily yawned as she sat up. Looking around, she could see the others all starting to wake as well. Bottles, each empty, were everywhere, and there was a bunch of ashes from where they had started a bonfire. The others all looked a bit tired and ragged, then again, they'd drunk more than she had.

"Merlin, it's too early for this!" Rex groaned loudly.

"Well get up anyway, before we get expelled," Lana said. Then she gave a loud yawn.

"Come on, guys. Let's get going," Scorpius muttered. He was up and waiting by the tunnel.

Lily sighed and got up as well. She walked over and climbed into the tunnel. "Yeah, we should probably see how the other two are doing."

"I hope Lola's ok. She was a mess," Lana said.

"And she hadn't even had any of the hard stuff," Mitch laughed.

"Give her a break. After all, it was her first," Rex reminded them.

"True," Lars agreed as he entered the tunnel.

"So, what's the plan for today?" Justin asked.

"Quidditch practice after lunch," Scorpius replied.

"And detention for me before that," Lily said with a yawn.

"We've got band practice," Mitch reminded him.

"And we girls are smart enough to study for our O.W.L.S.," Lana added.

"So we've all got a full card," Will said with a laugh.

"I can't believe that you boys are starting a band," Tamara said with a sigh.

Mitch shrugged as the group came to the end of the tunnel. "I think it could turn out well."

"Who's playing what?" Lily asked. "I mean, Mitch is playing the guitar, but the rest of you?"

"Rex is drumming, Justin's hitting base, and Will's taking up the vocals," Mitch told them.

"Pause in conversation," Scorpius told them. "What now?" He looked at Lily.

Lily just shrugged. "We climb out and run out of the tree's reach. I'll go first." Without hesitation, Lily climbed out and ran for it. She heard an almost silent 'whoosh' behind her, and with a quick look back, she could see a branch whipping past where she'd once been. It reared back but froze. Lily stopped running, and the tree didn't move. She was out of reach. "Come on! Get out here!"

One by one, the others all came running out, panting once they'd finally gotten far enough away from the Whomping Willow.

Mitch held the stitch in his side. "Damn that's too much running for me! No way could I ever do sports."

"Yeah, maybe I'll shorten up practice today," Scorpius said after a short pant of his own.

***************************

After the Hogsmeade trip, September ended with nothing but drama. Word had quickly spread through all the Houses about the trashing of the Gryffindor dorm rooms, and teachers had been rough and brutal about finding out the culprit, or culprits. Not all people knew about the notesbyt from SP, but those who did were very cuus as to find out who it was. James had taken a big hit from the whole incident. Everyone had noticed that James Potter had been very aggravated lately, and Lily had heard that he'd been ranting about being robbed. Plus, after the incident, Elisa had begun to constantly follow James around the castle. And the one time she left his sight, she had later found him snogging another girl. Lily hadn't been surprised until she found out that he hadn't been found with Lyla, but with Susan Williams, a different girl in James's year. Elisa had an awful fit, but word had it that once she'd left, James and Susan began snogging again.