Part 46: Be proud of your father

Lily sighed as she sat at the kitchen table. Her mother was humming as she made breakfast, and her father was holding the paper in his hands. But Lily knew that he wasn't reading it, but glaring at it. After the fight with Lysander, Lily's father had wanted to interrogate her immediately, but Ginny had quickly given Lily a reason to leave the room, and avoid the questions. And thankfully for the next few days, she had been able to avoid her dad. Either he was working early mornings, or she was rushing off to work, and then offering to work early for Hannah. But then her luck ran out. She had another day off and came to lunch to find her dad sitting at the table. Lily was surprised that her father hadn't started asking questions as soon as she walked into the kitchen. Her mum must have said something to him.

"So, Lily, what do you have planned for today?" Ginny asked casually.

Lily glanced at her father to see that he was looking sharply at her. She looked away. "Well, I thought I might see what Lola is doing, or maybe hanging out with a few other friends," she replied.

"Like Scorpius?" Harry snapped quickly.

Lily tried to keep her insides from trembling. "I don't know. Probably."

"Are you dating that boy?" Harry fired off the question.

"Harry," Ginny warned carefully.

Lily ran a hand through her hair. Better get it over with. "Yes. Scorpius and I are dating," she answered.

"Isn't he seventeen?" Harry inquired with a stern gaze.

"Isn't Uncle Percy four years older than Aunt Audrey?" Lily pointed out.

"He's a bit old for you," Harry quipped.

"Scorpius has been a great friend for years," Lily argued. "And you've always liked him."

"You two being friends did not include him touching my daughter," Harry said in a low tone.

Lily blushed at his words. "Harry!" Ginny scolded. "They just started dating! And Scorpius has always been a perfect gentleman."

"So was I around your parents," Harry countered. "But that didn't stop me from-,"

"Dad!" Lily interrupted quickly. That was nothing she needed to hear.

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Harry, I was not fourteen. I was fifteen. And you and I did none of what you are implying until I was practically seventeen."

"Times are different, Ginny," Harry replied.

"How about we just have him over for dinner?" Ginny suggested. "That way you can properly talk with him?"

"Do I get a say?" Lily asked.

"I don't want to talk with him!" Harry complained.

"You talked to him when he used to come over," Ginny replied.

"He wasn't all over my daughter!" Harry exclaimed.

"He's not all over your daughter," Ginny said with another roll of her eyes.

"Can I say something?" Lily tried to interrupt.

"We'll have him over, and you can find out that he is still a nice boy," Ginny told him.

"He's seventeen. No seventeen-year-old is 'a nice boy'," Harry muttered.

"Hey!" Lily exclaimed, catching the surprise of both parents.

"What, sweetheart?" Ginny asked.

"How is it that Scorpius is suddenly coming over?" Lily demanded.

Ginny turned her back as she began to pull out plates. "Don't overact, Lily. It's a simple dinner. Scorpius has been over for dinner before," she told her.