Part 5: Family advice

Having Lola over had been the best part of Lily's Christmas break so far, and she was disappointed that she had to leave the day before Christmas Eve. Lola had written a letter toher parents, asking if she could stay with the Potter for Christmas, but as Lola sulkily said, "They think it's better if I am with family." 

So when Lily watched Lola leave with her father, she felt the urge to run back to her room and hide until the break was over. She didn't want to deal with her brothers alone. WhenLola was here, they were forced by their mother to be nice, but now that she was gone, Lily felt like she was free game. 

She soon found that she was right.When she walked through the living room to get to the stairs, James was flipping through a magazine on the couch. He saw her and sneered. 

"So what's next, Lil? You gonna pollute our house by inviting over Malfoy?"Lily ignored his comment and continued toward the stairs. She made it up the hall without hearing another comment, but as Albus walked by her, she slammed her shoulder withhis, making her stumble briefly. She bit back the urge to jump him and continued to her room.

 When she got to her room, she couldn't help but slam her door behind her inanger.The next few days before Christmas Eve were tense among the three siblings. At every dinner, Lily ate quickly and excused herself before the rest of the family was even halfwaydone with their plates.

 When her parents tried to coax her into talking, Lily kept quiet and politely shot them down. She didn't feel like discussing it with them. They wouldn'tunderstand how it felt to be an outcast in the family.When Christmas Eve came around, Lily packed a bag with enough things to last her two days with her family at her grandparents' house. 

Inside, she was dreading the nights. Thechildren all slept downstairs on the floor together, while one got the couch, and another got the armchair. Usually, they settled who got what by some sort of game.

 Lily was justgoing to keep to the floor. She didn't want to start any fights.When someone knocked on her door, Lily almost stayed silent. But instead, she invited them in, and her mother stepped inside her room, closing the door behind her. 

"Got your things ready, sweetheart?" Ginny asked. She moved around to sit on the edge of Lily's bed, watching as Lily put more things into her bag."Pretty much. I've got all of my clothes, and I've got a few things to keep myself entertained," Lily said casually."Entertained? Isn't that why we bring your brothers?" Ginny joked. 

"You've never had to bring something, you and Hugo always find ways to be entertained, or you and Jamestease your brother."Lily sighed. This was the first hint that her mother was trying to get her to talk. So Lily shrugged. 

"Things are a bit different this year. I suspect it'll be a bit boring on my end."Ginny nodded. "So, I hear you've become friends with the Malfoy boy. What's his name?"Lily took a look at her mother, who was grinning. "Scorpius. And yeah, he's a friend. We've gotten to know each other, what with being in the same house, and on the Quidditchteam.""Will I get to meet him sometime?" her mother asked.Lily scoffed. 

"Not unless you want to give Dad a heart attack. You know how he is, and not to mention how both James and Albus hate Slytherins."

 "Not all of them, I'm sure," Ginny protested."I haven't met one they like," Lily mumbled. 

"I think I'm looking at one," Ginny murmured. 

Lily rolled her eyes. "Mum, have you not . . ." Lily paused, trailing off. She wanted to kick herself. She almost started to talk. She looked at her mother dully. 

"Haha. You almost got me."

 "So why stop?" Ginny questioned lightly. Her eyes were serious though as she looked at her daughter.