Part 59: Christmas break the Malfoy way

"She is not living here!" Lucius Malfoy yelled loudly, his voice echoing around the sitting room.

Lily sighed as she quietly sat on the couch. It had only been a couple of hours since she'd arrived at Malfoy Manor. She hadn't even had enough time to completely unpack before Draco decided to take Lily to Lucius so that they could tell him she would be living with them temporarily. Astoria was speaking with a magazine editor about the Christmas edition, and apparently, Scorpius was still unawares of her new living conditions.

"Father, she needs a place to stay, and this is the best place for her," Draco argued. So far, Lily had stayed silent. She felt her voice wouldn't help her here.

"Oh, so since she's a Potter outcast, we should take her in!" Lucius exclaimed.

"Father, she is practically a part of our family," Draco said calmly.

"She is not part of my family!" Lucius snapped. "That little tramp will not be living here!"

"Well she's part of my family!" Draco snapped back, anger finally seeming to hit his voice. "Lily might as well be my daughter, and I will not have you calling my little girl a tramp! And if you don't like the idea of her living here, then you don't need to be around the rest of us! It's a big house, Father. But she is living here, and that is that!"

Lily stared at Draco in surprise. She'd never seen Draco snap at Lucius like that. Usually when Lucius started a fight, Draco just skirted the issue and calmly changed the subject.

Lucius looked equally as shocked. He stared at his son with wide and furious eyes. Then he turned his angry gaze on Lily, who felt the need to move away from his eyes. But instead of saying something like Lily had expected, Lucius stormed out of the room.

Draco sighed heavily as he dropped into an armchair. He ran a hand over his slicked back hair, and looked at Lily apologetically. "I'm sorry about him. He knows how to be a stubborn old man," he said with a wary chuckle.

Lily smiled a little. "It's ok. Thanks for sticking up for me at least."

Draco nodded. "Well I meant it. I won't have him talking to the girl who might as well be my daughter like that. You don't deserve that."

Now, Lily really did smile. "Thanks," she said quietly.

There was an obvious moment of silence before Draco spoke again. "So, do you want to talk about it?" he asked.

Lily leaned her head back against the couch. "I snapped at my Dad yesterday, and I told him that I'd rather you be my dad than him," she whispered.

"Ouch," she heard Draco hiss.

"Yeah," Lily muttered. "That's why I snuck over last night."

"Yeah, I was sure your parents were unaware," Draco replied.

"So, when I got home, I saw a note saying that my parents wanted to talk to me when they both got done with work. So, while I waited, I kind of found that I'm too immature to fix things. I just . . . I need to be away from it all to figure out what I want," Lily told him. "I'm sorry if it's an imposition."

"It's no imposition. Astoria will be thrilled when she comes home to find out," Draco assured. "So, just so we're at an understanding, I work until the twenty-third."

Lily nodded. "Well, I work the nineteenth and twentieth, twenty-second, and basically every day after Boxing Day," she listed.

"Leaky Cauldron, right?" Draco asked.

Lily nodded. "Same place. Usually I work ten to six, but sometimes I work later shifts. Oh! And on the twentieth, I have to go to St. Mungo's. I promised a friend I'd go and see him."