Part 67: Changes Raising Tensions

"All staff and students must report to the Great Hall immediately. All staff and students must report to the Great Hall immediately. An important announcement is to be made immediately," a stern woman's voice reverberated throughout the castle.

Lily looked around at her friends, who looked just as confused and curious as she felt.

"If it's an important announcement, shouldn't we be hearing Professor Brown's voice?" Hugo asked as they all stood up.

"Perhaps he's already in the Great Hall," Lola suggested.

"Any idea what's up, guys?" Mitch asked as he, Lars, Justin, and Scorpius came to walk with them. Scorpius wrapped his arm around Lily's shoulders.

"Not a clue," Megan replied.

"If there was something to report, shouldn't they have done it at dinner an hour ago?" Justin said as they left the common room. The other members of Slytherin were all filing through and out of the dungeons, making their way to the Great Hall.

"You would think. Maybe it just happened," Scorpius retorted.

"Must be serious then," Shannon commented.

The Entrance Hall was teeming with students as everyone was making their way into the Great Hall. When the group walked in, they immediately went toward the Slytherin table. Lily looked up at where the staff usually ate, and felt her stomach drop. The governors were standing in front, Brunt standing at the podium.

"Great. Just the person we want to give a speech," Hugo mocked dryly as he sat with them at their table.

It seemed to be at least another ten minutes before the room had filled, and the tables were surrounded by students. Lily glanced at the staff at their table. They looked curious, although she noticed that Professor Longbottom wasn't happy looking. And Lily began to worry when she saw that Professor Brown was absent. A bad feeling was coming over Lily, and it was coming fast.

It took another five minutes for everyone to settle down and become quiet. Brunt cleared her throat, and then she began to speak.

"Attention, Hogwarts students. We, the governors of Hogwarts, have a very important announcement to give to you. It concerns you greatly, and it has been asked by my associates that I be the one to give you the news."

Students stirred and muttered lowly, but stopped after a swift moment. Brunt began again. "It is with an impartial opinion that I announce to you all that Professor Brown is to be replaced tomorrow."

"What!" Hugo exclaimed. And at his voice, a loud vibration of voices arose in the room. People all over the room were muttering and whispering. Rumors were already starting, and truths were being demanded. Lily found herself sinking. Changes. Things were changing. Fast, and badly.

"Quiet! Quiet!" Brunt hushed. When people settled, a tense and confused air settled over the room. "Now, this is not a temporary replacement. He will, at the least, be replaced until the end of all exams. This is simply a test to see how better things are around Hogwarts become with someone new in charge." Brunt took a moment to look over them all. "Now, we will introduce our new, temporary headmaster tomorrow morning when that person arrives. For now, you are all dismissed back to your common rooms."

"What a bitch!" Lars exclaimed as they all began to file out of the Great Hall with all the other students.

Scorpius wrapped his arm around Lily's shoulder. "You alright, baby? You seem preoccupied."

Lily blinked as she looked at him. Then she glanced over at the stairs leading to the next floor. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine." She hesitated, but then steeled her resolve. "I'll see you guys later. I need to do something."