Part 21: When September ends

Lily yawned as she trudged her way down the corridors of the dungeons. She was exhausted. She was thankful that tomorrow was the day of their first Hogsmeade trip. The weeks had been so long. Classes took too much time out of her day, and there was too much homework. Even if it was easy, it was tiring to do. And then she had a detention every day, and all the manual labor was making her sore. And Quidditch practices were turning out to be a brutal addition to her day. She never complained because she thought Scorpius was turning out to be a great captain, but she was always so tired after practices. Normally, she would go to bed straight afterward, but she then had to go to Professor Slughorn's classroom for her lessons. But, she thought, at least she was losing sleep over potions, and that she couldn't hate.

Lily knocked on the door to the classroom before walking in. Slughorn was setting up a table for their lessons. "Good evening, Miss Potter. How was your day?"

Lily sighed as she came over and dropped her bag and broomstick. "Exhausting. I hope I'm not late. I had to shower after practice."

"Nope, you're right on time," he complimented.

Lily grinned as she sat on a stool next to the table. "So, what are we working on today, sir?"

Slughorn grinned mischievously. "Well, I have two assignments for you today."

Lily looked at him in surprise. "Two?" He never gave her more than one subject at a time.

"Yes," he said with a nod. "I have a project that you will continue outside of our lessons. I want to see how well you do without my help and direction."

Now Lily was even more intrigued. "What is it?"

Slughorn grabbed an open book from his desk and placed it in front of her. The title said something that excited Lily. Felix Felicis.

Lily looked up at Slughorn with an eager smile. "Liquid Luck? You're letting me make that?"

Slughorn chuckled. "Yes. You will be making this by yourself, and after the six months are up, you'll bring it to me, and we'll see how you did. These instructions are also one of the books I gave you, so you'll have your list of instructions."

Lily was wide awake now. "Thank you, sir!" she said, practically squealing.

Slughorn laughed fully now. "It's no problem, Miss Potter. But, moving on. Here, we will be working on everlasting Elixirs. This is something that my sixth years will be learning a little later this year. These potions all have effects that are forever. Some are good. Some are bad. We will do at least one of each."

Lily gave a shrug and a smile. "Let's get started then."

Slughorn started her on making a potion that would keep the drinker calm until the antidote was drunk. Then she made a potion that was supposed to make the drinker repeatedly vomit. Luckily, she didn't have to test either one herself. Slughorn showed her other methods to test them.

Slughorn took a thick vial of each potion. "I'll save these with the other potions you've made. And I think I'll keep the cauldrons of these potions for when my sixth years begin practicing this," he told her.

Lily looked at the calming potion. Would she always be calm? When Slughorn turned his back, Lily dug a vial out of her bag, and quickly took a small sample. She shoved it into her bag again, looking innocent when Slughorn turned back to her.

"Well, Miss Potter, you are looking very tired. So why don't you go back to the common room and sleep? You can start our little project tomorrow," Slughorn told her.

Lily smiled at him thankfully. "Thank you, sir." She cleaned up the station, and then put her thing back into her bag. She was careful not to break the vial of the potion she took. When she was through, she pulled the strap of her bag over her shoulder. "Sir, can I ask you something?"