Part 25: Taking a stand

Lily sat in the potion classroom, waiting for Professor Slughorn to appear. It was time for their lessons, but he'd told her that he had a quick errand to run. That had been over twenty minutes ago. To occupy her time, she began to practice a few spells from Charms class.

Lily slid a book to the far end of the table, then pointed her wand at it. "Carpe Retractum," she stated. A purple rope came from her wand tip, wrapped around the book, and then pulled it back to her. Once the rope disappeared, Lily pushed the book away again. As she continued to do this, she soon became bored. So she reached into her bag, and pulled out the Marauders' Map.

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," she said with a tap of her wand. The map began to appear as she began to unfold it. She looked around the castle, taking note of who was where. Lola and Jace were sitting with Marty and Izzy, probably doing homework. Mitch, Rex, Justin, and Will were all in a rarely used Charms classroom. They'd been given permission to use it for their band practice. Lana was sitting in the common room with Dante Montague, and Lily could only imagine the amount of flirting going on there.

Lily looked at the rest of the castle, and noticed that the halls were fairly empty. After all, it was past curfew for the younger students. Lily was only out because she had a note from Slughorn. It was because of the emptiness that Lily noticed a dot moving in what had to be a run. Another dot was right behind it. Her eyes followed them, and read the names.

James Potter. Albus Potter.

Lily scowled at the sight of the dots. What the hell were they doing? They were running in an elaborate course. She looked a little further, and then saw something surprising. It was another dot, also moving in a run.

Scorpius Malfoy.

They were chasing him! Lily looked at where they were, finding that they were on the second floor. She looked around for Slughorn's dot, finding him talking with the Professor Brown in the headmaster's office. She might have time.

"Mischief managed," Lily muttered quickly. She folded the map and stuck it into her potion book, and then ran out of the room. She hurried up the dungeon stairs, and then ran up the stairs to the second floor. She pulled out her wand, and began to move around the corridors, looking for the running group. But then she heard running feet coming her way, so she moved to hide behind a statue. It was just in time, because once she was hidden, Scorpius came running down the hallway. She had no time to call out to him, as James and Albus soon followed. She pointed her wand at the pair of them as they passed.

"Levicorpus," she whispered.

Albus shot up into the air, as if an invisible rope had snagged his ankle. "What the hell!" he exclaimed. Both James and Scorpius stopped running, looking at Albus in surprise.

"What the hell, Al?" James asked in shock.

"Get me down!" Albus demanded.

Scorpius began to laugh. "Wow, and I thought all the air was in your head, not your foot!"

Lily stifled her giggles, not wanting to get caught. She pointed her wand at James. "Tarantallegra," she muttered.

James's legs began to move around, as if locked in some kind of awkward dance. His upper body obviously couldn't keep up. "What the fuck!" he growled. He pointed his own wand at his legs. "Finite!" His legs calmed, and only shook from the shock. He whirled around, looking at the empty hall. "Who's there?" he yelled.

Lily pointed her wand again. "Calvorio," she whispered. Sadly, James moved his head, so her spell only caught his bangs. But it was still worth it when his bangs sliced off and fell to the floor.