Part 81: Dealing with emotions and questions

"So, our first Hogsmeade trip is coming up this weekend," Megan mentioned at lunch. "What are you going to be up to, Jace?"

Lily glanced over at Lola, whose eyes shot down to her plate at the sound of Megan's flirtatious tone.

But Jace didn't seem to notice. "Oh, well, Lil, Hugh, Lola, are we doing our usual?"

Lily sighed. "I don't know. For one thing I don't think we'll even be able to get Xavier out of his bed on the weekend." She knew, for they had all tried the past few weeks. "Plus . . . I just don't think it would feel the same."

"Without Scor and Mitch and Lana and the rest of them?" Jace supplied. Then he nodded. "Yeah, so do I."

"I'm not drinking," Lola threw in, still looking at her plate.

"Plus, after Professor Brown went on to call us great role models . . . it kinda feels like it wouldn't be right," Hugo added.

Shannon rolled her eyes. "It wasn't right to begin with. It was underage drinking."

"Yeah, but now it doesn't feel right," Hugo retorted. "I say we all just kinda hang out in the shack."

"That sounds good. After all, just hanging out at The Three Broomsticks does get old after awhile," Jace agreed.

"Well I could always make it interesting," Megan teased lightly.

Jace looked at her curiously. "How?"

Lily, Izzy, and Shannon immediately looked down, doing their best to keep from laughing. Lily glanced up, expecting to see Hugo getting ready to laugh as well, but he was practically turned in his seat, looking back at Gryffindor's table. Lily looked over at where his eyes were trained, and saw Stacy and Hopper laughing, and obviously flirting.

"Hugo, don't torture yourself," Lily said, catching the others' attentions.

Hugo glanced over at Lily, before finally turning back to his food. "Well . . . maybe I could see if Stacy wants to come with."

"Huey's in love!" Jace teased, shoving Hugo's shoulder.

Hugo looked sheepishly at his plate. "There's no harm in asking, right?"

"Just be prepared," Lily warned. "She might have a date, with her boyfriend."

Hugo scowled. "Thanks for the reminder. I'm still going to ask."

"And if she declines?" Lily asked.

"Then maybe I'll ask someone else," Hugo retorted.

Lily raised a brow. "Like who?"

Hugo thought about it. "Well . . . like Jackie!"

Now Lola looked at him. "Jaclyn Munslow?"

Hugo nodded. "Yeah! She's nice, and kinda cute."

Lola looked at him skeptically. "So if Stacy says no, you're going to ask out Jaclyn?"

"It's final! After all, no use pining after someone I can't have," Hugo said firmly.

"That's the way to look at," Hunter agreed with a grin.

"So, this weekend, Shrieking Shack?" Jace assured.

"Sounds good," Lily sighed.

"I'm in," Megan agreed.

The girls grinned, excluding Lola, while Jace looked at her in surprise. "Really? You actually want to go this time?"

Megan shrugged with a coy grin. "Why not? It's not like I have anything better to do. And what could be more fun than hanging out with you?"

Jace was the one to shrug this time. "If you say so."