Part 96: Ready or not we are moving forward

"I don't know what it is, but I kind of like patrolling at night now," Hugo commented as he and Lily walked along the empty corridors of the sixth floor.

"Perhaps because there's no longer a psycho roaming them?" Lily suggested.

Hugo chuckled. "Perhaps." He looked over at her. "Think JB is almost done?"

Lily nodded. "I would think. Wanna walk by?"

"Yeah, let's," Hugo agreed. So they both changed their course of direction, and made their way to the seventh floor. JB meetings had started up again just a few days ago, and so far, all had gone well. "So, Lil, what are you doing for Hogsmeade this month?"

"I dunno yet," Lily sighed. "Part of me wants to just stay at the castle and be really lazy. What about you?"

"I'll probably hang out with Stacy," Hugo replied. "I'm not sure if she has plans already, though."

"I'd bet she'd include you if she did," Lily assured.

"Yeah, but if she's hanging out with someone like McLaggen or Wilde, I'm not sure I want to be included," Hugo joked lightly as he scratched the back of his neck. "It's a little awkward now."

Lily raised a brow. "Is Wilde still hostile toward you?"

But he shook his head. "Not toward me, but to Stacy. She's been like that ever since people found out that Stacy and I were . . . together kind of. But, anyway, whenever Stacy and I are together around her, Paige gets defensive and hostile."

"Jealousy in its prime," Lily mentioned.

"I guess," Hugo agreed. "Hey . . . it's the guys."

Lily looked ahead to where Hugo was looking. Just in front of the doors to the Room of Requirement, Jace, Christian, Xavier, Hunter, and Monty all stood around. Jace had his hands shoved his pockets, a scowl on his face. The other guys seemed to be talking to him.

"Why are they here?" Lily questioned. "Today's meeting is for Arithmacy. None of them take it."

"Maybe Jace is waiting for Lola?" Hugo suggested. Then he raised his hand in a small wave. "Hey, guys, what's up?"

Hugo's greeting caught the attention of the five boys. Jace looked oddly livid, while the other four seemed really hesitant. Without warning or a word, Jace stormed over to Lily and Hugo, who had stopped walking after the sight of the boys' faces. Jace was quickly in Hugo's face, their height almost equal now. Jace was only slightly shorter.

With a fierce glare, Jace grabbed the collar of Hugo's shirt. "Stay the hell away from my girlfriend, Weasley!"

Hugo looked at him in surprise. "What?"

"You heard me!" Jace growled. "Stay away from Lola!"

Lily looked at them in surprise and confusion. "Jace, what are you talking about?"

But now Hugo was looking a little irritated. "Look, Jace, I don't know what your problem is, but Lola is my friend. I'm not going to avoid her because you've got a problem."

Before Lily could stop it, or before Hugo could blink, Jace reared back and slammed his fist into Hugo's face. Hugo ripped away from Jace's grasp, but instead of throwing his own punch, he just nursed the side of his face. Lily quickly stepped in-between them, while Xavier and Hunter were the first ones to push Jace away.

Jace moved away easily, but still glared. "Stay the hell away from Lola, Weasley! Got it?"

Hugo glared back. "Bite me," he muttered as Jace stormed into the JB meeting room, followed by Monty and Christian. Hugo looked at Hunter. "What the hell is his problem?"