Part 40: Bad, bad girlfriend

Lily sighed as she sat on the grass outside. It was a bit windy, and the chill in the air was a bit more prominent, but with a jacket on, Lily could hardly feel it. She sat with Lysander, waiting to meet his friends, finally. She sat with her back leaning against the wall of the castle, and Lysander sat next to her. But he wasn't touching her in the slightest. There was obvious space between them. It irritated Lily, but she ignored it.

"Ok, now Kana is the girl with black hair, and Kelly had blonde hair. Taylor and Hayden are both Chasers, but Hayden is the smaller one. And Clayton is the really tall one," Lysander explained.

Lily nodded as she took a bite from a Licorice Wand. "Got it. Kelly blonde, Hayden small, Clayton really tall," she listed. "No problem."

"And be ready for Kelly. She can be a bit rough around the edges," Lysander warned.

"Explain what 'rough around the edges' means, please?" Lily asked hesitantly.

"I just mean that she can be tough to get along with at first. She'd a bit . . . unsure when it comes to new people," Lysander told her.

Lily didn't really trust his explanation. Something seemed off about it. Like he wasn't fully explaining it. But once again, she let it drop.

"Here come the guys," Lysander said with a grin. Lily turned to look at where he was staring. A group of five was on their way over. The differences among the three boys were a bit comical. The smallest one, who was apparently Hayden, was very thin and blonde. Lily actually remembered seeing him during Quidditch matches. The one of middle height was the broadest, with chocolate hair and chestnut eyes. And then the tallest one had midnight hair that swept into his eyes, making it impossible to tell what color they were.

The girls were like polar opposites as well. The one with black hair, Kana, was tall, the height of the middle-sized boy. Her eyes were a baby blue, and she looked very lean, like an athlete. The other one, Kelly, had platinum hair that fell in waves, and snapping green eyes. Lily could tell that she wasn't very athletic, even though she was thin as well.

"Hey, guys," Lysander greeted with a smile. He jumped up and moved over to them, clapping shoulders with the other guys, and giving a hug to each girl. Then he brought them over. "Guys, this is my girlfriend, Lily. Lily, these are the guys," he introduced.

Lily smiled. "And Clayton is the tallest one?"

Lysander looked at his friends. "Oh, yeah I didn't mention that part. Yeah, Clayton's taller than Taylor." He clapped the boy with black hair on the back. Then he dropped back onto the grass, sitting next to Lily again.

The other kids all sat down as well, but they were silent, except for one. "So, Lily, how are you enjoying your fourth year?" Clayton asked. His voice was very deep, like he was older than sixteen. He sounded as if he were twenty.

Lily cleared her throat, as if she could clear away her surprise. Wasn't Clayton the quiet one? "It's not bad actually. It's been pretty eventful," she answered. "And your sixth year?"

Clayton shrugged. "It's been ok. So, when did you start modeling?"

"This past summer actually. My friend's mum is a fashion designer, so I've kind of been doing it as a favor to her," Lily told him.

"Really? Which friend?" Clayton asked.

Lily was a bit surprised at his questions. Did Lysander mix up his friends when he said Clayton kept to himself? "Scorpius Malfoy," Lily answered.

"So you are friends with Malfoy," Hayden said with a hint of malic.

Lily turned onto the defensive immediately. "Yes. He's one of my best friends," she retorted easily, and calmly.