Part 77: The father and the boyfriend

Lily wondered how she got tricked into her current situation. She was sitting at her vanity, brushing her hair, but that wasn't the situation. It was the impending dinner that her mother had somehow gotten her to invite Scorpius to. To make things comfortable, James and Albus wouldn't be there, but Teddy and Victoire would be. Fleur would be babysitting Gabriella and Theodore for the night.

A knocking sounded at her door before it opened, and Victoire stepped in. "Mind if we come in?" Victoire asked.

Lily raised a brow in her mirror. "Um, sure?"

Victoire stepped in further, and then Ginny followed, closing the door behind her. Lily sighed. Something was tricky about them coming in together, Lily just knew it.

"Do you need help, sweetheart?" Ginny asked curiously.

Lily shook her head as she put down her brush. "No, I'm mainly just occupying myself until the night begins."

Ginny rolled her eyes as she came to stand behind her daughter. "When is Scorpius supposed to arrive?"

"Any time now," Lily replied. She looked at her mother in the mirror. "Did you need to talk about something?"

"Always to the point," Victoire said with a smile.

"Well she's right," Ginny sighed as she picked up the brush, and began running it through her daughter's hair again. "I was hoping to speak to you about something."

"And Vic too?" Lily inquired.

"I'm here for support," Victoire explained. "I get to be the bridge."

Lily felt a bit of confusion as to why her mother would want Victoire there for support and to be a "bridge" to connect them. But she just sighed. "Well, what's up?"

"Well it's about you and Scorpius," Ginny started.

It took all of Lily's willpower to keep from tensing up. A small fear settled in her stomach. Victoire was the only one in the family besides Hugo that knew Lily had started taking contraceptive potions. Victoire had taught her how to make them! Lily could only hope that wasn't how Victoire was going to be a "bridge" in the conversation.

"What about me and Scorpius?" Lily asked hesitantly.

"Well . . . how are you two?" Ginny asked, and Lily knew that it wasn't her original question. But she answered it anyways.

"We're doing great," Lily told her casually. "Never better."

"Well the hickey on the side of your neck here tells me that much," Ginny commented.

Lily's eyes went wide, and quickly shot to look at her neck in the mirror. And sure enough, now that her mum had moved her hair while brushing it, a reddish, purplish mark was obvious on her skin. How had she not noticed that?

Lily licked her lips, feeling very dry at the moment. "Oh. Well . . . um . . ."

"I'm teasing you, sweetheart," Ginny said with a laugh. "Although I would hide that from your father. He'd blow his top if he saw it."

"Where's your potion kit at, Lily? I'll get your potion so you can get rid of it," Victoire offered.

"I don't have any more," Lily said with a sigh. But when her mother raised a teasing brow, Lily quickly continued. "I had to use quite a bit after our last Quidditch match, and I gave some to Hugo after his last game. I've just been too lazy or busy to make more."

"Lily," Ginny spoke again, "I understand that you and Scorpius are serious. And even if he won't say it out loud, your father knows as well. And you know that, even though your father may not be thrilled, that we still accept your relationship."