Part 82: Live with what you do

As the rest of October began to pass, Lily found herself conforming to a comfortable routine. She woke up, went to her lessons, and taught Potions during her free periods, and then after dinner, would help watch over the J.B. meetings. And when it was her turn, she tutored the fifth years with Potions. And on some days, she would have Quidditch practices instead. Then before she went to bed, she held at least a small conversation with Scorpius. Things were changing, but some were remaining the same.

Xavier seemed to be getting better and better with each day, although it was obvious that he still wasn't over Manny. In every lesson he shared with her, he sat as far away as possible, and refused to look anywhere in her direction. And he still admitted to being hurt, and refused to tell what had made him get out of bed.

Lola and Jace still danced around each other and their emotions. Megan reminded Lola of her threat, and the approach of Halloween, every day. Lola no longer snapped when Jace spoke to her, but now they had both turned awkward around each other. They either hardly spoke a word, or blushed when they did.

The month was coming to an end, and Lily was sure that things were going to be just fine with her and her friends.

"I've been talking a lot with Stacy lately," Hugo admitted the night before Halloween. They were watching over the J.B. meeting as usual.

Lily raised her brow. "Hugo, she has a boyfriend, and you have a girlfriend now," she reminded him.

Hugo nodded. "I know that. And, it's innocent. You know, we just talk. About prefect duties, patrols, lessons, friends. I mean, it's casual."

Although she was still a little hesitant, Lily gave him a short nod. "That's good."

Hugo shoved his hands into his pockets. "Actually, she talks about Hooper sometimes. Always good things."

"And you're ok with that?" Lily inquired.

"I'll sometimes tell her about Jaclyn. She always seems pretty happy that we're doing so well," Hugo sighed.

"That's great, but you didn't answer my question," Lily pointed out.

"That's because I'm avoiding it," Hugo admitted. "It's not one I really want to answer."

Lily rolled her eyes. "Hugo, why are you torturing yourself?"

Hugo ran a hand over his face. "Because . . . if I can't be anything more than a friend . . . then I'm going to at least take my right as a friend to talk to her. I'm taking what I can get, even if it is only friendship."

"As long as you don't get hurt," Lily replied with a sigh of her own.

"Now that we've touched a sore note of mine, let's go to you," Hugo retorted. "Tomorrow is Halloween, which means it's James's birthday. You gunna send him a gift?"

"No," Lily answered easily and quickly.

Hugo raised a brow. "So, you'll send one to Albus, but not James?"

"It's different between me and James," Lily replied softly. "Even though Albus and I haven't ever had a great relationship as siblings, I'm much angrier at James."

"You hardly even see or talk to James anymore," Hugo countered. "You've been fighting with Albus much longer, and much more recently."

"Albus didn't hurt me as much as James did," Lily whispered. "And Albus may have done horrible things, but James was the mind behind a lot of them, along with the personality. I may be ready to at least let go of what Albus has done but . . . but I'm still not ready to ignore what James has done, to me and in general."

"James and you got on so well, though," Hugo commented.

"And that's why it hurts so much," Lily replied. "And that's why I'm not ready to ignore it, let along buy him a gift."